[Octopus]: Thor - Callistoctopus? The dream became reality!!

I used a canister filter in addition to a wet-dry system and a protein skimmer on my octopus tank. Since water is flowing through the canister, you don't need to rinse it out so often. I rinsed out some sponges and changed a Purigen filter in the canister maybe every 3 months. For corals and bioballs, there's nothing to rinse out. I grew a large colony of amphipods, and I tried to save them when the water was changed.

Great name for your octopus, Thor!

Nancy

Hey guys :smile:

So a little update,
everything is working fine so far he has been eating and all seems to work well. I have managed to capture one crab in my tank that I offered him and he loved it hihi :smile:
Last night I tried offering him another crab I managed to capture but he missed it :frown: so close to take it but it just managed to escape and I hate it beacuse it took me a while to capture that crab hahaha. So last night he did not eat, he didn't want to eat my fish nor the clams or the shrimp all dead food but he has been taking it before. I guess that he is eating something else when he doesn't show any interest whatsoever in my dead food, at least I hope so. Is it any way I could see if he has been eating? Like looking at his belly or something? And when they ignore food is that a typical behavior when they are full?

I still have a lot of live food in the tank so he has the food sources but I'm worrying that he miss it I have not seen him going searching for food which seems odd to me I mean these guys are smart animals.

@DWhatley thanks for the tips, I will try doing that from now on. He didn't take any food last night as well so that makes it 2 days in a row not taking the food I offer. But again I will try feeding every other day instead and as I said before there is plenty of food in the tank like crabs, snails hermit crabs so he shouldn't starve :smile:

I really love my octopus, it still feels unreal to actually own one I'm so happy to have him. :smile: and guys I'm very thankful to all of you giving me all the tips and tricks and help.

My live shrimp is on its way in this very moment I will send some more pics soon :smile:

Hello :smile:

So everything is working fine at the moment, he took a bit of a scallop 2days Ago so he is still taking dead food yaay :biggrin2:

Yesterday I got my live shrimp and I put some of them in the tank, so he has them as well to hunt and it will bring some enrichment as well. :smile:

I have been slowly changing my lighting hours over the days so the tank will be lit during night and turned of most of the day so I might get to see him during the day instead. It's getting hard to stay up at nights hahahaha.

Today was the first day I actually saw him out and it was around 10 in the morning which is very nice so it seems to work for now.

Here is some more pics of him and the shrimp, here we call the shrimp cervettes shrimp what are they called in the US?

Attachments

• IMG_3293.JPG
    IMG_3293.JPG
    714.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3289.JPG
    IMG_3289.JPG
    836.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3290.JPG
    IMG_3290.JPG
    851 KB · Views: 54

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back