• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Thomas Jr Update

Black96WS6

GPO
Registered
Hi gang,

For those that are interested, I'll try and post periodic updates on Thomas Jr and those that are currently octo-less can live vicariously through me until you get one :wink: .

Thomas Jr has moved from the back right corner to the front left area of the aquarium.

He's taken up residence inbetween a smaller piece of live rock and the pink vase.

Sand can be seen flying occasionally as Thomas appears to be digging out a den. I could make out his mantle and eye looking at me through a small space between the rock and the vase, so he can see out just fine. We'll see if it will be his home for awhile until he gets bigger.

I was able to hand feed him a small piece of uncooked frozen white shrimp. I wasn't sure it would be enough until it got close to him, keep forgetting how small he is. The piece was about as big as his mantle, but he appeared to have eaten it before I went to work!

Also this morning when he first came out after I turned the tank lights on, he saw me while crawling from right to left to get to his new den and put on another amazing display of color changes. I can only imagine the thoughts he's thinking! :smile:

good to know that tom is doing good! do you tink that maybe the mantis shrimp may have also helped tom eat the white shrimp?

chris

aximbigfan said:
good to know that tom is doing good! do you tink that maybe the mantis shrimp may have also helped tom eat the white shrimp?

chris

I removed a huge piece of live rock where the mantis lived in order to get rid of him.

I tried flushing him out of it and using a freshwater dip and then planned on taking him to the local fish store, but he wouldn't come out of his hole in the rock, so the rock is in a sealed bag outside of the aquarium. I'm sure the mantis must be dead by now, however I'm not even going to risk putting it back in with a baby octopus in there! It's a shame but Thomas Jr is way too small to take on a mantis!

Black96WS6 said:
I removed a huge piece of live rock where the mantis lived in order to get rid of him.

I tried flushing him out of it and using a freshwater dip and then planned on taking him to the local fish store, but he wouldn't come out of his hole in the rock, so the rock is in a sealed bag outside of the aquarium. I'm sure the mantis must be dead by now, however I'm not even going to risk putting it back in with a baby octopus in there! It's a shame but Thomas Jr is way too small to take on a mantis!
o. maybe, if the mantis is still alive you can put him in a seperate tank and wait for tom to grow bigger. then let tom havea meal of mantis.

chris

So far Thomas Jr is doing well! He's moved on from hanging out under the vase, I guess it was a temporary thing...

Hi all!

Thomas Jr is still doing fine! We just got back from vacation for 6 days, I got him a bunch of hermit crabs and put them in the tank, he was fine, although there's hardly any hermit crabs left now LoL!

So glad to hear that Thomas Jr. is doing well (although we expected him to do just fine!). Please continue to keep us informed and we can never have too many pics!

Nancy

Couple more pics, taken 5 minutes ago: :smile:

ThomasJr_May312006a.jpg

ThomasJr_May312006c.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back