This needs to be a crime

The most common rock that works well is called oolite, a limestone rock found on land (one of the rules is that it can't be coral rock). I have tried to get Ken to help me do a write up about aquaculturing rock but now that the farm has become primarily a nursery for growing corals for reef restoration and rebuilding, I don't expect I will ever get what I need.

I have purchased all my live rock (400+lbs) from 2 different aqua farmers out of the Gulf of Mexico and it is easily as good if not better then any live rock shipped in from half way around the world.

Down here off miami and in the keys there are lots of live rock farms. People just lease an area from the Gov't, add dead rock (limestone), wait aaaaawhile, then collect half of the now Live rock and replace what you removed with fresh limestone, and repeat the process yearly, sometimes sooner once the farms really gets going.

What is Aquacultured ““Live Rock””?

Aquacultured “Live Rock” is the magnificent end-result of our multi-year reef-building efforts in South Florida and now in the Florida Keys.

We have 600,000 pounds of Florida limestone product that was hand set 10 years ago in 25 feet of water offshore of Islamorada, Florida in the clear waters of the Florida Keys. Each time we harvest rock, we add rock that was hand sorted at our quarry in South Florida to the existing Mariculture site. This limestone is transported to all of our offshore lease sites in preparation for becoming true “Live Rock”, thus creating a sustainable harvest site in the most beautiful waters of the United States. This benefits not only the oceans reef inhabitants, but also our reef tank enthusiasts from beginners to seasoned experts!

The rock is matured on the ocean floor, harvested year-round and transported fresh off the sea bed to our constant flow holding tanks awaiting shipment to our customers.

Thales;142641 said:
D are you talking about rock framed in the south pacific or stateside?

Good point Rich. I probably should have said ecologically successful LR farms that I am aware of in South FL the provide LR for the aquarium trade (farming does not address construction). In FL, the shift from wild rock to farmed rock was legally a stepped process and I believe the full ban did not go into effect for 10 years, giving people time to culture rock or change businesses (natural culturing takes a miniumum of 2 years in situ and then there are the losses from storms, expenses and collection processes to work out so 10 years was a short time to get setup).

Thanks D - I have less of an issue with FL rock than with SP rock (the rock still has to come from somewhere). At the same time, I am much more a fan of homemade rock or used rock as it takes very little in the way of resources to ship it around.
I actually don't like 'fresh' live rock, and most people cure it or 'cook' it anyway so most of the macro life doesn't make it.

jellyman;142642 said:
I have purchased all my live rock (400+lbs) from 2 different aqua farmers out of the Gulf of Mexico and it is easily as good if not better then any live rock shipped in from half way around the world.

Who do you buy from in the gulf? I'm in Houston and I'm sure that would be a lot cheaper for shipping.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back