[Octopus]: This is Pete

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by CHolland, Nov 13, 2017.

1. CHolland

CHolland Pygmy Octopus Registered

IMG_20171113_041121.jpg IMG_20171113_041056.jpg IMG_20171113_041148.jpg I got an octopus via my LFS just last week! I have been waiting to post about him until he was coming out of his den and could include some pictures and video. :smile2:

This morning, he finally did! This is Pete. He was sold to me as a Vulgaris and, if he is, he is just a baby! His mantle is maybe a couple inches (at most). All I really know about him is that he was sourced from the Caribbean.

I've already observed some interesting behavior (which is shown in the pics). I must have startled him this morning because his reaction was to stock his mantle straight up and away back and forth. I think he was trying to look like algae. :-D

I am concerned he might not be a Vulgaris. I know there's a possibility he is a mature dwarf, but I'm hoping I won the lotto and got a baby Vulgaris. Perhaps someone could help me positively ID him?

Without further ado, here are some pictures!

tonmo likes this.
  2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Welcome Pete! He is cool. :cool2: He does look young, doesn't he? Not sure about vulgaris... someone here can help I am sure.

Looking forward to this journal! :thumbsup:

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Very young vulgaris can display red but the marbled mantle pattern, mantle shape and starburst around the eye have me thinking Pete is a nocturnal dwarf, O. mercatoris. However, the activity is unusual for both a very young animal and a merc and there appear to be papillae on the mantle that you would not find on O. mercatoris.

4. CHolland

If it helps figure out what species he is, here is a video of him from this morning.

Just so I'm not clueless, papillae are the little things that help their skin change texture, correct? Do O. mercatoris not have those?

Thanks for your help!

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Sorry, yes. At one time I kept a cephalopod definitions page but it failed to make one of the forum transitions. Merc skin displays very little change in texture or color (reddish brown and white). A TONMO media search for mercatoris finds a number of @Neogonodactylus ' excellent photos.

Off the top of my head, the only journalled images of a very young vulgaris are of LittleBit and it took me quite awhile to establish her species.

6. CHolland

Well, I love a good mystery!

I'll make sure I keep this thread updated and maybe we'll be able to figure it out. :smile2:

Thanks for the links. This will be interesting!

DWhatley likes this.
  7. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

What! :eek2: Maybe I can find it...? PM me or let's take it to the Staff forum... sounds like a good one! :biggrin2:

8. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

A big welcome to Pete! Even if you can’t figure out which species he is, he’ll still be fun to keep! We’re looking forward to future posts and photos.

Nancy