• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

This is a test and only a test.

pond formed a Halcline

Halocline! sorry typing error.

Today while looking at the pond I noticed that it had separated into 2 distinct layers top layer was freshwater ( salt level 0) and the bottom layer was saltwater (salt level 1.017). Very cool because i have scuba dived though these in cave of Mexico. I put the cover over it to protect it from massive rains and I am adding the filter/waterfall here soon. Fish and shrimp are doing fine. :madsci:

Attachments

• conv_298206.jpg
    conv_298206.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 129
Work in progress

Well I have the small waterfall filter in place now but I need to run the electric to it to make it work. Dump the remainder of my last batch of mysid in it today. About 20 mostly females with eggs. :smile: With some luck they will do as well as the 50 or so in my 29 gal tank. :cool2: I will work on the electric stuff after the rain stops for a while. :heee: Sad to say the plants cost me more then the stupid pond; less filtration. :sly: Put in a sand bed for the crabs that I plan to order.

Today while looking at the pond I noticed that it had separated into 2 distinct layers top layer was freshwater ( salt level 0) and the bottom layer was saltwater (salt level 1.017).

That's pretty interesting. How deep is each layer?

Wow, I'm impressed! You're really doing this up right and putting a lot of time and energy into this "test". Very cool to follow.... keep up the good work!

Still have the Halocline! But I finished the waterfall filter today and when I start it up that will more likely disappear. It has changed, the freshwater layer has decrease to about 2 inches because of all the stuff I've been adding to the pond. When the rain stops I will run the electric to the outside and start up the pump. I am sure the halocline will disappear when the water starts mixing.

Tried the waterfall filter today but I didn't like the water flow so I pulled the pump (200 gph) and took it back and replaced it with a 320 gph unit. I have a fair amount of filter stuff in the container so it slow down the water flow a little. Turned off for now still have 2 layers of water freshwater has changed to about 1 inch but the water level is lower as well because I have blocked the rain. I think the rain is what caused the effect and I will test that out later with a container of saltwater in the shower to see it it will stay separated. Plus I can control the water temp as well. The other difference will be in the rain water itself.:madsci:

If you turn off the pumps and let it settle you could use a small diameter tube and slowly siphon of the fresh water from the top. You could also lower the intake side of the tube to suck up some of the salt water from the bottom, get a salinity reading, and calculate how much fresh water to leave behind to get the salinity you're after. Then get a big enough pump to keep it mixed all the time.

My friend, the hard part isn't getting it to mix, it is getting it to separate again with a pump running. I am sure I will have no problem keeping it mixed to semi constant reading. Anyway, an outside wall outlet (made for the outside) is now in place and the new waterfall filter is running, I mixed up the water and increased the salt level back up to 1.023. After a day or 2 it should become clear again. I did a lot of mixing and stirring while getting the pump in place. Just ordered a small amount of shrimp and craps to add to the mix. :madsci:

Hooked up the electric and the filter is running. Cleaned up the pond and added saltwater to it to bring the salt level back up to 1.023. The water is clearing up slowly but still has a hazy brown color to it. Add 20 fiddler crabs and 20 shore shrimp and 30 mysid shrimp. Everyone ran in all directions; crabs are in the rocks and sand, shrimp are scattered around the pound in the rocks and sand. Flower are in and it looks good to me. The water has started forming 2 layers again, even with the pump running, top layer is 1 inch think and the bottom is 12 inches think. Haven't tested the water lately. (kind of strange).

The weather got cooler here quickly and tonight it is going to get 39 degrees, the water has cleared completely and look great and the crabs and shrimp (shore shrimp and mysid) look fine. The different fish still come out every evening for feeding (mollies guppies, and sheepheads). So all in all it is working out to date. Tonight will be the big test for cold nights.:madsci:

more photos

Well all the weather has cleared tand the top seems to be working. The saltwater level is only changing a little ( 1.028 to 1.032) per week and I have to add rainwater from my collector to bring the level back down. The crabs look good and the feeders (sheepheads and mollies) are looking good but only come out at dusk. I see the shore shrimp hiding here and there will add 20 more next week.

Attachments

• conv_298282.jpg
    conv_298282.jpg
  • conv_298283.jpg
    conv_298283.jpg
  • conv_298284.jpg
    conv_298284.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 111
  • conv_298285.jpg
    conv_298285.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 117
waterfall filter

The waterfall filter is working great. I tool a tool bin and placed lot od filter material in it and pump the water though it at 500 gph on the rock bed below.

Attachments

• conv_298286.jpg
    conv_298286.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 119
  • conv_298287.jpg
    conv_298287.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 119
  • conv_298288.jpg
    conv_298288.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 111
  • conv_298289.jpg
    conv_298289.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 105
Crab condo

The crabs are doing good and have moved into the sand bed I created for them. Currently 19 crabs, put in 20 to start. they survived the cold front that moved in and tool the temp down to 39 degrees. I didn't test the water temp that night, it was cold and I was asleep. :biggrin2: :madsci:

Attachments

• conv_298290.jpg
    conv_298290.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 128
  • conv_298291.jpg
    conv_298291.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 120
  • conv_298292.jpg
    conv_298292.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 121
  • conv_298293.jpg
    conv_298293.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 133

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back