• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

This is a test and only a test.

I did something strange! I live in Ohio and I put out a saltwater pond. It is small about 100 gal. I did water changes on my main tanks and redid my one cuttlefish tank so I dumped all the water into an outdoor pond in my front yard. I wanted to find a place to keep all my feeder fish anyway. Sheep head minnows, mollies and cleaner shrimp. Plan to add mysid shrimp and amphapods, copods. Should be interesting. :madsci:

Running out of room in my house!

Well, so far so good all the feeder stuff is in the outdoor pool and fine. I will start adding more cleaner shrimp a little later. This should provide everyone all the breeding room they need with lots of places for the young to hide. I am going to add a sand pile island on the side for the crabs later. :madsci:

Nope, we have from now till mid Oct to late Dec. The season here has changed a lot. I keep plants that could only be kept in SC or further south outside all winter. Besides, it gives me time to make room inside to place a bigger unit in the basement or in an outside shed with a small heater. Plus if all goes well I will have lots of feeders for the cuttlefish.

Update. The pond is doing well, the water is about 50 degrees and get 60 in the day. The fish and shrimp seem to be doing fine. Going to add some mysid and brine shrimp when the next batch arrives because they have lot of room to hide. The next step will be to add a small mix of chromis and damsel fish for color.

A few photos. :madsci:

Attachments

• conv_298186.jpg
    conv_298186.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 164
  • conv_298187.jpg
    conv_298187.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 156
Very cool! I know a few weeks ago when I was thinking I needed more saltwater habitats I looked out my window at my two ponds (one 4,000 gallons and one about 500 gallons) and thought to myself . . . . "hmmmmmmm......". LOL

Keep us posted.
Sue

I have been giving that some though. Thinking of putting a half dome top over it to keep out any rainwater. But everything I am playing with is brackish anyway.

I also found I can get a 12 foot round 3 foot high pool and filter system for about 130.00. Which would be great for keeping the larger cuttlefish if I enclose it and put a water bed heater under it to keep at 50 degrees in the winter.

well, first big rain hit, turned brackish the next day. Will need a cover to salt level stable went fro 1.024 to 1.018 in one night. have to have a cover to provide shelter from the rain. I figured as much but since everything in the tanks is freshwater to brackish, I thought ai would give it a test. I will make a plastic pipe cover with black plastic dome to see how that works.:madsci:

Everything is still going well, no losses of anything. Keep in mind I am only using brackish critter that will be used as food for something in one of my tanks. I still need to make a umbrella top to help keep out the rain and raise the salt level back up a little. :read:

Ya Mike, your going to have a hell of a time with salinity. Also nuisance algae including cyanobacteria are going to be hard to control, especially without a pump. LOL the red tide

Never give up, never surrender!

Well I am not stressed over it, that why it is a test. But anyway I built a cover over it today and will bring the salt level back up to 1.024, slowly and see how the rain fairs now the cover will help with the algae but I am going to put in a small waterfall filer kind of thing a little later. I have to run a new line to the breaker box for an outside plug and put up a trellis so the bump wire runs over the gate to the outside plug. Projects never end. I planned to put the plug in and got all the stuff but didn't get to it last winter. I hate working in the cold. Days work if I get my butt in gear. Picked up the stuff today to make a filter waterfall. I will hide lots of the crap with flowers :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back