This group is awesome!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tulsakev, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Tulsakev

Tulsakev Larval Mass Registered

I just discovered this site due to a rather embarrassing experience. I was reading an article in Skeptic magazine which referenced a species of squid that, by most estimates, is considerably larger than Architeuthis- Mesonychoteuthis. I was especially stunned to learn that this species had been known for a good bit of time, but just hasn't received the media coverage of the Giant Squid. Although I (had previously) considered myself pretty well read in regard to matters related to the natural sciences, I was astonished that such a creature existed and I was completely unaware of it. So I Googled Mesonychoteuthis and discovered this wonderful group!

I have been a marine reef aquariist for many years, but have never kept a cephalopod (to my knowledge anyway, I seem to have a never ending cast of surprise guests in my tank). I'm now fascinated about offering a home for a ceph. I'd especially like to get to know a cuttlefish. Can anybody offer some suggestions for critter selection to a guy who is an experienced marine tank person, but who has no experience with cephalopods?

2. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

A warm :welcome: to you Dr T.

Think BIG; start that aquarium off with a baby Mesonychoteuthis! Tony (the chief and commander of TONMO) has 32 of these precious little gems for sale, live! You'll need a big tank!

3. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Are you crazy? Those things nearly bit my arms off!

Best bet for starters would most likely be Octopus Bimac or a Sepia Bandensis. Just bear in mind that they, like all cephs will require more time, care and effort that normal marine tanks. Check out our cephcare articles. The link is below the TONMO logo at the top of this page.

Oh and :welcome: to TONMO.com

4. bigGdelta

bigGdelta Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I'd go for a mixed tank of messies and archies with maybe a humbolt for fun. :welcome:

5. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Welcome Tulsakev! Please ignore our resident cephalopod (and Mesonychoteuthis) expert, Dr. Steve O'Shea, at least to whatever extent he suggests I'm selling the collossal squid. :smile:

Good to have you aboard!

6. bigGdelta

bigGdelta Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Tony is just trying to hog them all for himself.

7. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

it's true...I've seen the scars.

Welcome to Tonmo !
    greg

8. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Welcome Dr. T,

Tony is just trying to sell them on ebay... for the highest price.
    Baby Colossal Squid, easy to care for, friendly and cuddly, temp 78 F, fits in 12 gallon Nano Cube. Starting bid $1000 :razz: