This could cut down on vacation fun!

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Darnit... AND they got Physalia physalis down as a jellyfish again, stuuupeeed media.

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
I didn't think they were found in the Med.

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
It seems NYC can't be left out either

http://scienceblogs.com/deepseanews/2008/08/revenge_of_the_jellies.php

I remember vacationing in FL as a teen (and being stung solidly snorkeling once) and later with my children and often seeing many Man-O-War on the beach, jelly fish in the surf (thanks for the hint OB, I had no idea Man-O-War were NOT jelly fish) and beach closings when they were too numerous. I have not seen them in years. The furthest back anyone has mentioned in these articles is 20 years and the time frame I refer to is 30 - 40 years ago. It seems we have not kept records before now. In this case, I can't help but wonder about cyclic trends. I don't doubt the problems and nothing bad can come of our heightened awareness but I am not sold about this "sign"

DWhatley

Staff member
cthulhu77;122626 said:
...and now we have them in Arizona!!!! Oh wait, that was a cricket...
You don't get them until California drops off and takes part of Mexico with it.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member

DWhatley

Staff member
Researchers have calculated a 20 to 70 percent probability that southern California will be hit by a large earthquake in the next 30 years.
:confused: how can you even call that number range a probability?

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
In luvvvv?

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
.... as for things that could kill a vacation (and planned field trips), how about this! We've honestly had the worst, wettest, coldest and most miserable winter here, with this sort of weather for the past 2.5 months! I've just cancelled today's field trip, again! No jellies turned up here yet, this winter, but every year there are claims that their numbers are growing.

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Sigh. Today's weather! Three consecutive lows have belted us this week! The map looks like crap, but imagine being here. You can hardly even make out the outline of New Zealand it is that messy. The 'high' to the east never went over New Zealand ... we just have this seriously ugly trough of bad weather hanging over us.

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
I feel for you. There's a huge difference in welcoming weeks of rain when you live in a desert, and getting weeks of rain when you live in a place that gets lots of rain most of the time. One is wonderful, the other is incredibly depressing.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Welcome to our Dutch summer :sad:

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
:smile: A break in the weather! Off into the field today (Wednesday), though tomorrow through Friday will be custard! (Australia must be loving their weather.)

That's one field course out of the way.

Attachments

esquid

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
I'm glad the weather took a turn for the better for you. Though in future maybe you should make that wicker man a little earlier in the year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Parsas89

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak