Thinking like an octopus - Harvard Gazette Oct 2010

Discussion in 'Behavior and Intelligence' started by DWhatley, Nov 10, 2010.

1. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/10/thinking-like-an-octopus/

2. Joe-Ceph

Joe-Ceph Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

D,
    Thanks for the article. I really liked it, and so did my legs, and right arm, but my left arm thought the thesis was absurd.

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

:grin:
    The hummelincki is the best example of the animals I have had that demonstrate the behavior he finds curious. If you have not seen it (and I have been trying to video the actions now as my little guy, Monty, is a great example but he does not like the camera, especially when it is on the tripod) then your left arm gets more credit than it deserves :wink:. I won't say that the theory explains the behavior but I will say there is a fitting observed anomoly that is mentioned in various journals with most of the hummelincki. Besides the body trying to go multiple ways at once, touching the tops of the arms (dorsal side?) has interesting results over time. Then there is the very sad final hours I had with KaySoh that has always made me suspect something a bit odd. I won't say I believe the arms "think" independently but I agree that there is likely more to them than just food gathering appendages.