thinking bout geting an octopus...newbie Q's

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by gohan, Jan 13, 2003.

1. gohan

gohan Larval Mass Registered

i have a 90 gallon tank and 2 filter/pumps that can handle 150 gallons each... how frequently would i need to change the water? since it is a fairly large tank, i'm thinking 25% every 3 weeks should do it.

i've heard that it is nearly impossible to tell between a venomous octopus and a non-venomous one... is that true?

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Hi Gohan,

That's a nice big tank! You don't say what kind of filtration you're using, but most people with octopuses use a protein skimmer in addition to other sorts of filtration.

There are various theories on water changes. The most common seems to be 10% every week or 20-25% every couple of weeks.

Your question about poisonous ocotopuses: All octopuses have venom, because that's the way they kill their prey. The ones sold as pets are not a problem, except for one (Blue Ringed Octopus) that is sold very rarely. Please look at a reply I did for a mail bag enquiry on September 16,2002 (http://www.tonmo.com/letters.php) for more information on this subject.

Nancy

3. gohan

i was thinking of putting a vulgaris in the 90 gallon tank...how big do they get?

4. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

mantle to 25cm and arms to 100.. big octopus potential!

Cheers
    C

5. gohan

hmmm, 90 gallon tank sounds too small for that... what would fit into a 90 gallon tank comfortably?

6. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Probably better go for something like Octopus bimaculoides which is diurnal and gets to about 12cm mantle and 35cm arms, much better all round :)

C