• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Thinking about starting up a new cuttle tank

After 6 years of being Ceph-free I am thinking about getting back into it with a Sepia b tank. I would most likely get a bunch of 5-6 eggs and keep them in an 8 gal nano until they get big enough for my 40. Since it has been 7 years since I have kept them, I am wondering what the new trends are.

Thanks

Will

William,
For 99% of the successes, initial foods are live mysid. There are a few other successes scattered in the forums but not with anything as large as pods.

I wish I could offer more help but I am an octo keeper and have very little cuttle experience (primarily because of the first month of feeding). I will suggest that you consider putting breeders net inside the larger tank rather than using the small tank just for water quality and stability while they are developing. Anecdotally, PH swings seem to have a negative affect on the eggs.

I just moved my 6 week old hatchlings to common shore shrimp (Palaemonetes Vulgaris). Both Sachs Aquaculture and LiveBrineShrimp.com sell them. It is much more substantial food and easier to keep than mysids. I probably could have moved them earlier, but the new hatchlings do very well on live mysids.

FYI the tank pictured is the one connected to the sump they will be living in. when it is time to move them into it, there will be some modification to the tank to accompany them (removal of corals with potent sting, removal of cleaner shrimp, cuttleproofing the vortech)

Attachments

• conv_300703.jpg
    conv_300703.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 136
  • conv_300704.jpg
    conv_300704.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 136
  • conv_300705.jpg
    conv_300705.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 142
So its been a while, and i cant remember if the opaque eggs are the fertile ones or the translucent eggs are the fertile ones, as i transilluminated them with my iphone and couldnt really see any baby cuttles inside

*i do not know how old the eggs are though

If I understand it correctly, the opaque brown is an ink covering. As they age it get more transparent but I am not sure if this is simply from the stretching of the egg or because the ink starts to fade. The only reference I remember (keep in mind I am an octo, not a cuttle keeper) to egg fertility and the ink was a comment (I think by Cuttlegirl) that the early laid eggs were not as well coated and did not hatch or did not hatch as well as the later one.

If they are opaque and white, they are infertile (or dead), if they are transparent they could be fertile. Think of the white of a chicken egg when you are cooking it - it is transparent at first and then turns white and opaque.

It is sometimes hard to tell when the egg is so black. It will stretch and become more transparent closer to hatching.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back