[Octopus]: Theon - O. briareus Back with a new baby!

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t have much to update, Theon is going strong and growing long arms! He’s still on the small side, which makes me wonder if he’s a briareus or actually a joubini- but in the long run I don’t care. Theon is particularly friendly, he’s a ham for attention and loves being out between 7pm and after we go to bed. He’ll also pop out unexpectedly in the middle of the day if there’s action in the living room. He’s really just an all around delightful octopus- but he can be a bit nippy with hands, so sometimes playtime get cuts short when he’s in that mood.

Attachments

sedna

Staff member
Reaction score
Recursive Theon! A friend asked if I’ve ever “shown” Theon a video of himself, so here it is. He didn’t react any differently to himself on the screen than he does when he sees the other side of the phone...

Attachments

sedna

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I’m finding that the “fans” on Facebook have some wildly different ideas of how big Theon actually is if my hand isn’t included in the picture/ video. Somehow he’s appeared to double in size in just two weeks... 🤔. Any suggestions on how to include a size reference that aren’t my hands?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
No specific ideas but if you could take out a decoration/rock/shell and take a picture of it beside your hand, it might give the kind of reference you want. The problem with FB is the difficulty in finding prior posts so I would suggest grouping all his pictures into an album and mentioning the album when sizing is brought up.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
At one time I tried printing a ruler on a piece of transparent film so that I could put it on the outside but it did not work well. I think you need something that is inside and toward the front of the tank to be helpful.

sedna

Staff member
Reaction score

sedna

Staff member
Reaction score
Great pics! How does Theon rank in your history of octo keeping?
Theon is definitely up there on the Friendly Scale! He always comes out when doing water changes, even if it’s hard core nap time. The whole family agrees that he’s one of the most social octopuses that we’ve ever lived with. Unfortunately, he’s kinda nippy, so I have to watch out for bites!

He also swims in the water column far more than any other octopus we’ve had. He swims around quite a lot but I can’t get video of it because once I approach the glass with a camera or phone, he stops and comes on the glass. We’ve come to believe that he does this to get attention, because he does it to all of us, and the behavior is daily. Theon wakes up and starts swimming in the water column. We ignore him and he swims. We get up to approach the tank and he ALWAYS STOPS and comes to wait on the glass for us. Kind of sweet, but also kind of annoying since we can never get any video of the behavior!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rarepirate

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards