Webmaster
Ha! Good find! Kinda strange...

nanoteuthis

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
quite disappointing...could only find 2 of my farside collections.... but this was among them...sorry about the file size... i tried to cut it down some

nanoteuthis

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
WhiteKiboko said:
quite disappointing...could only find 2 of my farside collections.... but this was among them...sorry about the file size... i tried to cut it down some
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Great one! I never saw this before. He did a few that involved animals speaking at conventions -- my favorite was the classic with the dinosaur saying something like, "Well, gentlemen, the picture looks bleak -- the glaciers are advancing, the mammals are taking over, and we all have brains the size of a walnut."

Unfortunately, I sold my FAR SIDE collection at a flea market book sale last year (what was I thinking?), and now I am reaping the bad karma I generated. In the process of trying to find his cartoons online, I came across this notice from Larson himself, who apparently objected to the unauthorized reproduction of his work on the net -- understandable, though very disappointing:

http://www.portmann.com/farside/

One of his squid-toons that I remember in particular was titled "The Squid Family on a Road Trip", with one of the "squidkids" in back whining, "Mom, Jimmy won't keep his tentacles on his side of the car!"

In the collection I had, the Foreword was written by none other than the late Stephen Jay Gould -- one of my favorite evolutionary scientists, even though I disagree with his strict atheism. Not many cartoonists could boast of an endorsement from such a distinguished source!

I'm sure a "pilgrimage" to Amazon.com or Half.com will turn up some Larson anthologies, all of which are worth having around.

Dux et bonum,
Tani

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
i guess to make up for the fact i scanned something out of one of the books, i should suggest people try his first post farside book, "There's a hair in my dirt" about a family of worms....plus it has a moral too....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branane

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards