• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

the tank of best fit....

ok I see what happened. when I said "a bimac or two," I was referring to consecutively... not both in the tank at the same time, before moving onto a different species. However I was not aware of that they are not commercially available, and so I suppose I can throw the idea of a bimac out the window.

As for the whole mating concept, not really something I was PLANNING on doing... but well see all very much so up in the air right now.

I'll look into the O. hummelincki

Well, a 30 and 40 gallon tank are too small for a hummelincki. They need at least a 50 gal, but a 45 might work. If you are looking for a diurnal interactive octo that would fit in a 40 gal, I would reccomend looking into an aculeatus. They are pretty easy to find and theres a lot of info on them on tonmo.

On the order of tank size I was able to make room for a 55g, and so that is probably the size tank I will get. I was really fascinated with hummelincki but will look into aculeatus as well now that you mention it. Are either or both of these commercially available? Cleveland is a bit far off from an ocean!

Yes they are, the trick is finding stores that will ship them. There is a place I know of in Cali that sells hummelincki on and off on a regular basis.... but will they ship??, nope. I havent seen a hummelincki for sale on purpose and I have been looking. Doctors Foster and Smith have been known to sell aculeatus but its hit or miss at what you will get.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back