• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

the tank is up and running and awaiting its new occupant.

dragonfish

GPO
Registered
So, I finally came round to starting up an octotank.
it's not huge, but I think it 'll do fine.

Filtration is done by a canisterfilter filled with active carbon and some filtercotton. after that the water runs into a separate tank filled with live rock and some caulerpa (to break down nitrate). then the water flows back in the main tank. the separate tank also houses a protein skimmer. (at least, it will house one, I got one from a friend but he's on holidays, so I have to wait :frown: )

at the moment the tank is still cycling with a few black molly's. as soon as water parameters are steady, I'm gonna get my very own octo!!! :biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

Hi Dragonfish,

Welcome to TONMO.com :welcome:

Nice that you've set up your octo tank. You might want to enter it in our Octo Database - people do list their tanks before they get their octopus.

How big is your tank? - it was difficult to tell from the pic. Looks like you're off to a good start.

By the way, I deleted your other posting since it was a duplicate of this one, without photo.

Nancy

well, you already welcomed me when I signed in. but it's been a while since I've visited so probably it's okay to do so again :wink:

as I said the tank isn't that large. it has a 200 liter capacity, which is around 50 gallons if I'm not mistaking.

I wanted to wait entering the tank untill I got my octo. but since you ask so nicely.

did I post twice? oh boy is my face red! :oops:

some pics of the tank I took today.

this is a sideview from the tank. as you can see it is shaped like a cube.
unfortunately it's not too clear. the camera I used has a rather low resolution.

the light thing in the top of the pic is the live rock filter.[/img]

this is the liverock filter itself. it also grow some caulerpa in it to help control nitrate. so because of the lights, it is rather bright.

on the left, you can see the proteinskimmer. it's a simple model, so maybe, in time I'll replace it by a motordriven one.

the only part of the filtration unit I didn't take pics of is the canisterfilter. It's located under the octotank itself and filled with some filtercotton and active carbon. the tankwater flows through this first, then passes the skimmer to flow out in the liverockfilter. from here an overflow sends it back to the main tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back