The start of my 75 gallon build... and questions

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by SabrinaR, Jan 25, 2011.

1. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

Oct 2, 2009
    This weekend I will start working on my 75 gallon tank. I had just started to make decisions about what type of flow I was going to have, powerheads vs closed loop when the person whose supposed to help me drill the holes is trying to talk me out of a closed loop :confused:. This is my very first drilled tank and I want it to be as clean inside the tank as possible. I dont want wires or powerheads all over the place.

My first of many questions is, on a closed loop how do you block the holes so that an octopus doesnt get in them? I was thinking screening but that will eventually be blocked with crud from the tank so I dont know that it will be a viable option in the long run.

If I had 1 inch holes drilled in the tank for the closed loop he said I would need a very strong pump... something like a mag 24. How much flow is to much flow for an octopus?

:lol: I feel like a virgin octopus keeper all over again :lol:.
  2. CPayne

CPayne Pygmy Octopus Registered

Jan 18, 2011
    What do you plan to plumb into the loop? Just the pump for water movement? Let live rock/sand be the filter (fine for a reef w/ light bioload, but a bit risky for a messy predator IMO (although I have VERY limited ceph experience)?
    You get big steps down with flow rate as you plumb turns/ items (filters/skimmers) into the line. I would be hesitant to see real advantages to a closed loop design outside of some small increase in tank security.
    AS to covering the inlet bulkhead, I would think anything that would be octo proof would catch the crud. I doubt that this would be good in any component of the loop and would be a huge source for fouling the water if not regularly removed. I would suspect that a basic pre-filter pad could be used to slide down over the intake kind of like a HOB filter cartridge and could be easily secured. This would allow easy access to the prefilter to remove the organic waste and not be a burden on the biological filtration going on.

Just my two cents worth in general tank design.
  3. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Jan 22, 2004
    There are several ways.
    You could get something like this:
    and glue nylon window screen around it.
    You could also go with a standard threaded strainer and get something like this
    to go over it. There are other foam blocks with holes in it, so look around for one you like - or get a block of foam and make the hole yourself. Zip tie it to the threaded strainer voila.
    Or you could make your own by getting a length of threaded pipe and drilling lots of small holes in it, cap the end and screw it into the bulkhead (use a threaded one).
    For any of these solutions get two - much more octo safe to swap them instead of having a big hole in the tank open while you clean. :grin:

Mag 24? No way! That would provide way too much flow. Unless you are putting the pump on a the floor below the tank or very far away. Octos can take a variety of flow, so something in the middle would be good. I think a quiet one 3000 would be fine, but I would also put a valve on the output so you can throttle it down if you like. A mag 7 should be plenty as well.