The plastinated Giant Squid returns

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
After 5 years we'll soon see what a marvelous job Dr Gunther von Hagens has done with a giant squid sent to him in December 2004.

Here's a sneak preview. I haven't been so excited in a while! There's a lot of video this side prior to the squid being sent .... it looks like it was in REALLY bad condition .... (but it wasn't; it just needs some TLC after a long flight, and to be immersed in a preservative).

I was having a bit of fun with the reporter in a long conversation; she chose to write some of the less-than-academic statements in the release. Sigh.

I assume the referenced exhibit is the one that shows all parts of the human body. I missed it when it came here but my chiropractor went and has several copies of the book in her waiting area so I have been through it several times. Quite fasinating.

Would you rather be set in a pose to battle the squid rather than riding it? :wink: I, on the other hand, like my staff photo :gigas:

body works is amazing. I saw the exhibit a few years ago when it was in San Antonio..I would love to see a squid and a whale! I love anatomy..seeing bodyworks is an incredible experience. Is the squid whole or opening layers like all her bodies are?

Yeah, I've seen two "Body Worlds" exhibits that were both fascinating. :welcome: to the plastic squiddie!

This sounds awesome. I never got around to seeing the body works exhibit but I would make a special trip to see a Giant Squid ( I promise that I will try as hard as I can not to touch it) if get puts on display. Any plans for plastinating a Colossal Squid?

If you are not up for being plastinated riding the squid than I totally am.

Yup; am dealing with these issues now. The ship reaches NZ today. :madsci:

T minus 2 and counting.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back