• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

The plastinated Giant Squid returns

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
After 5 years we'll soon see what a marvelous job Dr Gunther von Hagens has done with a giant squid sent to him in December 2004.

Here's a sneak preview. I haven't been so excited in a while! There's a lot of video this side prior to the squid being sent .... it looks like it was in REALLY bad condition .... (but it wasn't; it just needs some TLC after a long flight, and to be immersed in a preservative).

I was having a bit of fun with the reporter in a long conversation; she chose to write some of the less-than-academic statements in the release. Sigh.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I assume the referenced exhibit is the one that shows all parts of the human body. I missed it when it came here but my chiropractor went and has several copies of the book in her waiting area so I have been through it several times. Quite fasinating.

Would you rather be set in a pose to battle the squid rather than riding it? :wink: I, on the other hand, like my staff photo :gigas:

Omega

GPO
Registered
body works is amazing. I saw the exhibit a few years ago when it was in San Antonio..I would love to see a squid and a whale! I love anatomy..seeing bodyworks is an incredible experience. Is the squid whole or opening layers like all her bodies are?

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, I've seen two "Body Worlds" exhibits that were both fascinating. :welcome: to the plastic squiddie!

Teuthman

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
This sounds awesome. I never got around to seeing the body works exhibit but I would make a special trip to see a Giant Squid ( I promise that I will try as hard as I can not to touch it) if get puts on display. Any plans for plastinating a Colossal Squid?

If you are not up for being plastinated riding the squid than I totally am.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Pray it makes it past Skull Island....

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Not to mention R'lyeh :shock:

myopsida

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
You realise that MAF Quarantine will seize it and refuse to allow it into the country until it has been fumigated...

myopsida

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Steve O'Shea;152246 said:
T minus ...., plus ...., who knows. T minus Q. DEFCON 2
and so the days passed...summer extended into autumn....autumn into winter (almost)...and Dr O' waits... and waits.....it seemed to everyone else but a short time but how the time dragged....and dragged...on into the nights...how many more big sleeps will he have to wait?

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Aint that the truth!

DEFCON 1

Issues with permits, GST, forms, letters, forms and letters ..... all for a dead plastic squid.

MAYBE tomorrow. MAYBE.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
I believe you are at DEFCON 5, as that is the highest alert level (scale of one to five). I know this because I watched the movie "War Games" in the 1980's.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
You have "issues"...

You don't know why...

Think again...

:no_diamond:

Members online

No members online now.