The Octopus and The Military

I talked with a client a few weeks ago about doing a large scale U-boat (1/72) and was kind of hmmm/hawing the whole thing...but that pic may have changed my mind!!!!
These pics you two keep on finding are awesome...thank you sooo much! :notworth:
Greg

Clem said:
Here's an emblem reputedly worn on the conning towers of two German U-boats (U-330 and U-114), during WWII.

Hmmm.....this is deeply strange. I've checked out U-Boat.net to try and find out some information and images of these boats but it appears that neither was constructed. U-114 was ordered in January 1939 at A.G.Weser, Bremen, but the order was suspended the following September. Similarly the Type VIIC U-330 was laid down at Flender-Werk, Lubeck on 3rd August 1943 but the construction was suspended on the 30th September and cancelled completely in July 1944. The octopus logo, if genuine, must have been a projected bootswappen.

What is particularly confusing is that the site dedicated to the career of Kapitanleutnant Stefan Michael Grabowski depicts a photo of the Type II U-330 The Octopus underway at sea on its way to Brest in November 1939. Another photo depicts the submarine in dry dock. I don't think that U-numbers were swapped between vessels so I'm not sure exactly was going on here.

I have found one other reference to a U-boat depicting an octopus but, unfortunately, no image. This is from the 'Navy Department, Report on the Interrogation of Survivors of U-595' :

"U-595 left Kiel for her first war cruise on Thursday, July 23, 1942. She was in the company of a 1600-ton supply U-boat said to be commanded by an Oberleutnant Vogel. (ONI Note: It is possible that this Kapitänleutnant (Lieutenant) Viktor Vogel, who was previously thought to command U-588, but who may have been transferred.) This boat had an octopus painted on its c/t."

Unfortunately the article does not record the number of this supply U-boat.

.....the quest continues.......

those wacky Germans! :lol:
Just the idea of the octo on the side of the conning tower is a good one, anyway...besides, the model is just for a movie prop, and we all know how realistic movies are!
Greg

Hey, just had a fun idea...how about a Tonmo logo on the side also???Now THAT would be great!!!!
Greg

cthulhu77 said:
Hey, just had a fun idea...how about a Tonmo logo on the side also???Now THAT would be great!!!

Hmmm.....Grossadmiral Tony Morelli, Kapitan zur See Steve von Shea und Fraulein Tintenfisch? Leutnant WeissKiboko?

Not convinced. :biggrin2:

USS Drum (SS-228)

The USS Drum, an American submarine from WWII, has an octo for a mascot. The USS Drum is currently at the USS Alabama Memorial park, in Mobile Alabama. If youre ever in Mobile, Check it out its a great place to spend an afternoon. The attatchments are of the USS Drum logo, a patch from the ship, the logo painted on the ship with Japanese sink markers, the logo as drawn by Walt Disney, and a picture of her back in the day!

lightningflask,

:notworth:

Outstanding material, sir. USS Drum looks to be in fine trim, and the Disney rendering of the "device" is great fun. How many military insignia did the House of Mouse draw, I wonder? Were they executed as stock characters to be used in the services, or were they requested by units in the field?

Clem

Phil said:
What is particularly confusing is that the site dedicated to the career of Kapitanleutnant Stefan Michael Grabowski depicts a photo of the Type II U-330 The Octopus underway at sea on its way to Brest in November 1939. Another photo depicts the submarine in dry dock. I don't think that U-numbers were swapped between vessels so I'm not sure exactly was going on here.

Phil,

I share your pain, having checked the same references. The reference to the kriegspolypen appearing on the conning tower of a supply U-boat is intriguing; such usage would be in keeping with octopus emblems worn by units involved in supply, maintenance and other support tasks, such as Marine VMFA-251 and Navy Unit 101. (There's also a reference to a support unit of the USAAF 381st BG that had an octopus mascot, but I've yet to find an image.) Interesting that octopus could be associated with relatively benign, nurturing activities, as well as with belligerence.

As for the Germans, well, the kraken association alone should have produced a few octopus emblems on U-boats plying the North Atlantic.

Yours truly,

Clem

Gentlemen,

This topic gets more and more interesting, it's starting to occupy far too much of my time.

Lightningflask,

Those are great pictures from USS Drum and thankyou for taking the time to find and post them. Also, thanks for the Disney information, that's a fascinating page you have linked to. Are you aware of this film that Disney produced: Der Fuehrer's Face? Disney has banned the distribution and showing of this film featuring Donald Duck forced to work in a Nazi munitions factory. Pity that Disney is worried that they might be seen to depict fascism in a negative context. But I digress.......

Clem,

I'm worried about the whole Grabowski site in general. Practically none of the details seem to check out on U-boat.net. I'm not going to state that the facts presented there are fictitious but I would like to find some verification of the details. U-boat.net does have a seemingly utterly comprehensive catalogue of U-Boat insignia available but you have to subscribe at $45 pa to join the indepth sections.

If anyone wants to volunteer to join to find octopus emblems and verify the existence of U-330 , then I'm sure Clem and myself would be very grateful!

Phil said:
Disney has banned the distribution and showing of this film featuring Donald Duck forced to work in a Nazi munitions factory. Pity that Disney is worried that they might be seen to depict fascism in a negative context. But I digress...

But, Phil, if we didn't digress, we just wouldn't be TONMO.

I'm worried about the whole Grabowski site in general. Practically none of the details seem to check out on U-boat.net. I'm not going to state that the facts presented there are fictitious but I would like to find some verification of the details.

Is it possible that the Grabowski stuff is part of a U-boat online simulation, or a fictional scenario ala "Luftwaffe 1946?" Using canceled or incomplete boats would make a bit of sense in such a context. Perhaps herr Grabowski is just a research-happy gamer from Brest?

:roll:

Clem

Oh, this is going to be fun...just wait for the U-boat "Titenfisch" (sic) with a nice big Kraken emblem on it..
Pics to come soon!!! :biggrin2:
Greg

Some one asked if anyone was enrolled in the navy...

I am currently enlisted, stationed at Shore Intermediate Maintenence Activity (SIMA) Pascagoula, Mississippi. I am really enjoying this thread.

The client seems to be very warm to the idea of the U-Titenfisch concept...now if we can just agree on a $$ value!! :biggrin2:
I agree...this thread is just plain great!
Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back