The octopus- an evolutionary anomaly?

Cairnos;93112 said:
I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and suggest that social structure and opportunistic cannabalism are mutually exclusive survival strategies. :twocents:

I can't say I would agree with that. In your neck of the woods, the Maoris come to mind as social and occasionally canabalistic. As for my own lineage, quite a few native american cultures, particularly Central and Southern, have practiced canabalism.

pipsquek;93120 said:
I can't say I would agree with that. In your neck of the woods, the Maoris come to mind as social and occasionally canabalistic. As for my own lineage, quite a few native american cultures, particularly Central and Southern, have practiced canabalism.

Dosidicus seems to be both social and have opportunistic cannibalism, too. I also recently saw a talk on swarm behavior by a researcher who found that locust (and mormon cricket) swarming is driven by cannibalism as well, when food becomes scarce, so it's actually directly tied to group behavior.

Jean;93116 said:
hmmm if you annoy me I"LL EAT YOU!, has a certain ring to it, doesn't it? :lol:

Could be useful when dealing with recalcitrant students, I can just see it as my door plate..............:lol: :lol:

J

I was thinking it would be more useful on dates... Keep your tentacles to yourself or I'LL EAT YOU! It would have helped me on a few occasions.

pipsquek;93120 said:

There's rather a difference, with Maori and I'm reasonably certain most cultures which have ever practised cannabilism it served a ritual role and was less common than is often pictured, in effect the cannabalism itself served a social role.

Whereas with octo's (from what I understand) members of your own species are seen as a perfectly viable food source, taking a primarily dietary role, although I don't know whether they are considered more or less preferable to other species.

its obvious, they are only showing us what we want to see. they are secretly making an O.S.a.C.A (octopus, squid, and cuttlefish alliance) to take over all of humanity and flood the earth, so that they can feast on the land animals. its SOOOO obvious.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back