The octopus- an evolutionary anomaly?

Discussion in 'Behavior and Intelligence' started by Bob the kracken, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Bob the kracken

Bob the kracken Wonderpus Registered

i was hoping you experts in octopus behavior could help me with this one. as you all know the octopus has a short lifespan, a birth, a growth period, just long enough to mate, reproduction, then death. this simple sequence of events makes it seem as though the octo has only one purpose in life, to mate and reproduce. and yet they are so intelligent. the reason for this is not apparent to me, i see no reason for them to be intelligent, they just are. :confused:

2. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Well, take a long hard look at Homo sapiens, and I think you'll draw a very similar conclusion.

If intelligence enhances the chances of reproduction, it can and will become a selective pressurepoint. The more intrigueing question is probably why octopus are so intelligent without having any social structures...

#2    Top
  3. Bob the kracken

what was their closest ancestor with a social system. i could be wrong but didn't they first orrigionate from cuttlefish

4. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Umm... no, they didn't originate from cuttlefish.

See this thread.
    http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/4620/

5. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

#5    Top
  6. Bob the kracken

7. cuttlegirl

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make you feel like a moron, sorry. It is an interesting question, we don't really know how social fossil cephalopods were...

8. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

No, almost certainly not I'm afraid Bob. The common ancestor of cuttlefish and octopus probably existed way back in the Devonian, a strange primitive internally shelled ceph in a time so distant that it even predated the ammonoids. It's hard to be certain given the lack of fossils, but cuttles probably evolved from the Teuthid squids in the Cretaceous or possibly the early Tertiary, though it is possible they had a lineage that linked to the earlier belemnoids. Octopus evolved along an entirely seperate lineage post-Devonian.

At least that's how I understand it. If anyone knows any different, please shout.

As Cuttlegirl says, it's impossible to determine social organisation amongst fossil coleoid cephalopods.

9. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

10. Phil

Ah, thanks WK sir. It was cobbled together out of a couple of charts in Clarkson's Invertebrate Palaeontology and Evolution, so please don't think I invented it! The whole area around cuttlefish/squid should be riddled with question marks as to ancestral lineages, as that whole area is highly speculative.

11. zyan silver

zyan silver O. bimaculoides Registered

they have a social system in our house. they are the bosses and we are the masters keepers! ( i thought it deserved a exclamation point). zy

12. Phil

:lol:

13. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Pfft. At least you went to the trouble of making little pictures of the critters.... :grin:

14. Cairnos

Cairnos O. vulgaris Registered

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and suggest that social structure and opportunistic cannabalism are mutually exclusive survival strategies. :twocents:

15. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

hmmm if you annoy me I"LL EAT YOU!, has a certain ring to it, doesn't it? :lol:

Could be useful when dealing with recalcitrant students, I can just see it as my door plate..............:lol: :lol:

J

16. pipsquek

pipsquek Wonderpus Supporter

I can't say I would agree with that. In your neck of the woods, the Maoris come to mind as social and occasionally canabalistic. As for my own lineage, quite a few native american cultures, particularly Central and Southern, have practiced canabalism.

17. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Dosidicus seems to be both social and have opportunistic cannibalism, too. I also recently saw a talk on swarm behavior by a researcher who found that locust (and mormon cricket) swarming is driven by cannibalism as well, when food becomes scarce, so it's actually directly tied to group behavior.

18. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

19. cuttlegirl

I was thinking it would be more useful on dates... Keep your tentacles to yourself or I'LL EAT YOU! It would have helped me on a few occasions.

20. Michael Blue

Michael Blue Wonderpus Registered

(not touching that one with a 10' pole) :lol: