The NY Times is saying that two Japanese Scientists have caught a giant squid on film

Jean said:
Interesting............would like to see that tape!

I see we have the 60 foot length again!!!!

J

I would like to see that tape too! I And the 60 foot length sure is annoying...now everyone else thinks I'm a nut in school becuase of my ranting on the "Not 60 foot!"

I've long-since given up; journalists are generally disinterested in facts - they cannot be bothered with homework. Not all are superficial, but you've got to weed the good from the bad, and deal only with them; unfortunately the bad will continue to proliferate crap.

tonmo said:
"They ground up some squid gonads"...

:shock: :goofysca:

Poor :archi:

I'm guessing hes tryin to scream to those who did it to him, "If YOU were a guy who just had his pecker ripped of, would YOU wanna live? Press the DIE button, ya friggin moron!"....:wink:

This is true....I think they should release more photos so we can be sure it it an Architeuthis....or even the video foootage.

Shame it had to lose a tenticle on a lure. Infact shame they used a lure, I've seen those things used on Dosidicus and it's nasty.:mad:

Fujisawas Sake said:
That's pretty badass, except are they sure its an Architeuthis?

No doubt about this John; it's the real deal. They didn't even need to do the DNA to know (I found it quite surprising that they did this), because Ku (Dr Tsunemi Kubodera) is one of the best there is. He is also one of the nicest of people you will ever meet, and the most deserving to have achieved what nobody else has managed to do.

I think that this is the best news ever for natural history, and hopefully it will result in the end of BS programming standards, this so-called reality TV, and a return to proper expedition-style documentaries. It can only get better!

There is no video footage to release; these are, as far as I know (and I would love to be wrong) series of stills. I would SO LOVE TO BE WRONG!!!!

What surprises me more than anything is that they did not publish in Nature! This is so deserving of publication therein.

Steve O'Shea said:
I think that this is the best news ever for natural history, and hopefully it will result in the end of BS programming standards, this so-called reality TV, and a return to proper expedition-style documentaries. It can only get better!

I hope you're right, now maybe tv companies will want to invest in an expedition, especially if they know that architeuthis is an aggressive predator. Mind you, I think the lurid will still triumph. This is the Daily Mail (uk) this morning (this is the print version, the online one is much more staid):

"Attack of a Giant Squid: Scientists film sea monster - and find it really DOES try to squeeze its prey to death"

they then go on to say:

"So tales of hapless mariners being gripped by giant tentacles and dragged to their deaths in a horrible embrace have reamined the stuff of legend. Thanks to work by a Japanese team, however, we now know that such a horrific encounter could actually happen."

They also have a huge picture of the Giant Squid from 20'000 leagues Under the Sea attacking my namesake's sub (from the disney film) and in the corner four very small images from the sequence.

They also quote Dr Kubodera as saying "The monster's mouth, a horned beak like a parrot's, opened and shut vertically. What a freak of nature, a bird's beak on a mollusc!" - NOTE: EDITING THIS, but leaving in my original mistake: That's actually a quote from Jules Verne in 20'000 leagues NOT Dr Kubodera.

Great follow-up *gasp* moment to the 2002 Kyoto Prefecture specimen photographs posted a while back!

Oops, sorry, just delurked, hello everybody 8o)

Just a query for the better informed. Would it be possible that the specimen Kubodera poses with on his website is *in fact* the aforementioned Kyoto "photographed while dying ensnared" squid? The eye looks rather familiar....

http://research.kahaku.go.jp/department/zoology/zoology3/kubodera/

Appreciated...

OB

As somebody in Hollywood, which is where so much "real" news comes from, please, please, whatever you do - never overestimate the press. Whatever it is, however important. Trust me. It'll all be twice as big before the media touches it. Ratings are the only thing of any value.

This is amazing! I feel that the Holy Grail has finally been found after 1800 years! Live giant squid pics! Wow! I can die now.

Back to my tangent, whatever gets said, keep listening to SOS and the other Archituethis experts. Our friends in the know are the only folks to trust in the know. If it didn't come from a teuthologist, it's CRAP!! There's already a bunch of junk floating around regarding this footage, as should be expected.

Journalist = BAD

Scientist = GOOD

What about Scientific Journalists?

Have you seen the Active Users this morning (in the UK it's morning)? seems like everyone's after Giant Squid information.

Hello everyone. :welcome:

don't know how may times I've sent this link to people this morning

Giant Squid and Colossal Squid Fact Sheet

Even my boss has sent me an email about the amount of squidnews:

"Fascinating articles in this morning's Telegraph and Times about your favourite subject which I am sure you have picked up. 60ft long by gad! and with two attacking tentacles each 40ft long. It seems that Bishop of Bergen got it right."

(don't worry, I've put him right)

I've emailed the BBC about their awful and misleading size comparison chart, if they're gonna do a London Bus chart, leave it to the experts, like Phil!

Steve O'Shea said:
There is no video footage to release; these are, as far as I know (and I would love to be wrong) series of stills. I would SO LOVE TO BE WRONG!!!!

Steve,

From the press release it appears that many, many more photos were taken. In the 'Results' section Kubodera and Mori record that following the initial attack on the bait:

More than 550 digital images were taken over the subsequent four hours which record the squid's repeated attempts to detach from the jig.

The released six images are just the tip of the iceberg; 544 to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back