The Motivation and Education of Children in the Marine Field

Gaetan P.

GPO
Registered
hi ya'll! I am a Third Grade Teacher in New Jersey. I also coordinate an Oceanography Club after school for third graders.

Just wanted to throw some lines in the water for some feedback on how everyone feels about the education of our children in the marine field. importance? techniques? How deep? I have my ideas, what are yours...I would love to hear from the experts in field. I am no expert in Oceanography, but I do know children.

I do preach the word of being environmentally aware and how as 8 year olds.....can do something about it. It is their furure they are protecting....not mine or yours..unless you are eight.

So....lets here it!!!

love your mom,
Gaetan P.

Well I teach children from 2-3 years old to senior high school at our facility (NZ Marine Studies Centre and Westpac Aquarium) when I'm not doing my research.

Our programme ranges from directed play (for the preschoolers) through to 3 day programmes for senior high, where the students eventually must produce an experiment they have designed, run and written up in standard scientific format by themselves (we're there for advice).

In the junior programmes, we have many! Ranging from food webs, to classification, to fish types, to cephalopods (YAY!), dissections (rarely, but they are available usually dogfish [which are bycatch] and squid [which we get from commercial fishers, so are counted in quota!!]), microscopy, beach surveys, junior chemistry etc

Check out our website www.otago.ac.nz/marinestudies

it tells you more about the programmes and I think there are downloadable resources!

If you have more qn's just ask!!!

Cheers

Jean

Finally....someone responded....we also do disections on squid...you should see 30 8 year olds touching squids...you would think they are touching dead human bodies.....funny..thanks for the reply..I will check outthe website....thanks jean....

love your mom,
gaetan

I have to admit that watching kids do a squid dissection is fun! I had posted some pics on a thread called "kids squidding" but the pics seem to have vanished! I'll see if I can re post. (although it could be a coupla weeks before I remember :oops:)

One wee qn.....how old are 3rd graders???? we have a different system!

cheers

Jean

8 or 9 jean.....it is fun, but a lot of work...my kids love it it is their final project for oceanography club...i have to say...i love that club more than teaching reading, writing, or math......maybe i should return to school for marine bio....

peace

No, please don't do that...we need teachers like you getting the future generations ready! It sounds like you have a very lucky class...hey, send in a group pic if you get a chance ! Always neat to see budding oceanographers !
greg

well, as a public school teacher....I'll need permission from just about everyone...parents, teachers, principals, board members..hell i'll draw you a picture......

i love my job,
gaetan

cthulhu77 said:
No, please don't do that...we need teachers like you getting the future generations ready! It sounds like you have a very lucky class...hey, send in a group pic if you get a chance ! Always neat to see budding oceanographers !
greg

too true.......mind you I'm lucky (?) enough to be a grad student and teach kids!

J

I would love to hear about your lessons, with regards to your younger students.
What areas do you cover.?..
what types of hand-on experiments do you complete?

I have learned all about the ocean from independent self study and a few classes and the new Jersey State aquarium..water tests and I dissected a shark, but you should be well informed about more areas in marine bio.

audi 5,000 turbo

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back