The Loss of P. Robin Rigby

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I received an email on the FastMoll listserv this morning about the death of Robin Rigby, an octopus researcher at Kyoto University in Japan who worked with E. dofleini, in a car accident Sunday morning. I didn't know Dr. Rigby well, but interacted with her through email and was well aquainted with her work, having done work with E. dofleini physiology as well. The loss of Dr. Rigby so early in her career is an enormous blow to cephalopod science, and on a personal level I pray for comfort for loved ones. Even though I didn't know her personally... she will be missed.

Here is the text of the email:
We are saddened to announce the death of Ms. Robin Rigby, who was killed in
a traffic accident Sunday morning in Kushimoto, Japan.

Many of you knew Robin through her participation in the NaGISA project of
the Census of Marine Life and in the triennial CIAC meetings. After
completing her master’s degree at Dalhousie University, she entered the
doctoral program at Hokkaido University, where she studied octopus behavior
in Dr. Yasunori Sakurai’s laboratory. After receiving her degree, she
became a post-doctoral researcher at Kyoto University and was a NaGISA
project leader. Two months ago, she was hired by the university as an
associate professor.

Condolence messages can be sent to Robin’s husband, Mr. Kohta Asamidori
([email protected]).

I'm sad to hear about this, although I wasn't familiar with Dr. Rigby's work (from a quick google scholar check, I should be.) Thanks for passing on the news, as tragic as the news itself is.

One thought I had was that it might be good to send some sort of collective card or similar expression of support from the TONMO community, since I see TONMO as sort of a focus point for people that have enormous respect and enthusiasm for the often-unsung researchers in the field... I'm not sure if that's presumptuous, though.

monty;106164 said:
I'm sad to hear about this, although I wasn't familiar with Dr. Rigby's work (from a quick google scholar check, I should be.) Thanks for passing on the news, as tragic as the news itself is.

One thought I had was that it might be good to send some sort of collective card or similar expression of support from the TONMO community, since I see TONMO as sort of a focus point for people that have enormous respect and enthusiasm for the often-unsung researchers in the field... I'm not sure if that's presumptuous, though.

I agree Monty, a collective message would be a great idea....not presumptuous at all

J

I had not heard of her... that is very sad... but as some of you know my octo is named Rigby....

It is sad how life can be taken away so quickly.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back