The Future is Wild

Discussion in 'Culture' started by krin, Jun 30, 2003.

1. krin

krin GPO Supporter

The Foxtel cable program book finally turned up this morning and inside is a lot of PR for this program. There is an insert card with a picture of Cryptile - a liazard with a built -in fishing net around its head), a one page interview with John Adams and a bar at the bottom of the program page.

The review in the local crappy newspaper guide said it can't be much good as the reviewer couldn't imagine a land-moving squid. Shows what imagination reviewers have...

KRin

2. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Re: The Future is Wild

KRin,

Yes, well, who ever heard of aquatic animals moving onto land and evolving?

:roll:

Clem

3. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Yo Krin,

Not that I'm defending TV reviewers or anything (considering the quality of US TV, I can't), but you should consider the idea that the majority of people don't have the biology background to really consider the possibilities. Heck, I tutored several majors classes and met people who refused to TRY to understand biology. Hell, it was their money...

*sigh*

Anyway, hope life down under is cool. Have a great night!

Sushi and Sake,

John

4. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Yeah, people can be silly...I gave a talk on falconry not long ago, and the group of high school kids didn't believe me that ducks could fly...they insisted that they just swam. Yikes.
    I, however do NOT like critics. Of course, having my own artwork constantly taken apart in the newspapers doesn't help either! :lol:
    Greg

5. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

of course ducks cant fly....they just walk around peddling insurance... i saw it on tv so it must be true.... :roll:

6. krin

krin GPO Supporter

Oh wow!

Saw the first double episode of "The Future is Wild" last night. Okay, so the animation was a bit dodgy with lots of repeat scenes, but wow, the content! I thought the tree-swinging monkey like squids were just so cool! I have taped it (yes, I know that is illegal) and will show it to as many people as I can .

The main reviewer in the newspaper is a very odd guy, he doesn't seem to like anything that shows on cable!

KRin

7. WhiteKiboko

Re: Oh wow!

illegal?

8. Clem

Taped?

9. krin

krin GPO Supporter

Would be if I charged money for people to see the program. Copyright is an funny thing.

KRin

10. krin

krin GPO Supporter

Until I can get a DVD read-write machine for about A$100 and the DVD to copy to are $2.75 (which is what video tapes cost me here), I'll have to just keep video-taping programs.

KRin

11. Clem

KRin,

I was seconding WK's false naivete. Tape away. And, if you're taping at Rupert Murdoch's expense? All the better.

:wink:

Clem

12. Clem

KRin,

T minus 20 hrs, 30 minutes 'til evolutionary speculation.

:heee:

Clem

13. cthulhu77

Yeah, we had to swing by the store on the way home from dinner last night to pick up vhs tapes...looks like an interesting night! :o
    Greg

14. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Ah....... I have just recently seen an episode of The Future is Wild and I am in two minds, I cant judge the series as I have only seen the one part but so far the future looks really crap.

The part i watched (was on at about 2AM and after a bottle (or two) of house red) was the section on the Amazonian grasslands... IE once the Amazon rainforest dissapears.

There was nothing in this programme other than DEvolution... or stuff that has already happened... carakillers, babookaris and rattlebacks... All have had very similar things happen in the past of present... one advance was the catching fish in a basket theory.... Surely they meant that making this docu was shooting fish in a basket? :) Give the people what they want? Make the birds look like dinosaurs again was the answer!

Surely imaginations, cause that's all it is, could have been exercised a bit better here? As it is all just theories why not really go wild on a savanah?

my suggestion is a carnivourous rhino type beast that is decendant from the possum that eats Carakillers... its horn is detachable and is used to spear prey. Growing to 3 meters tall, the Rhiposso has hands with eight fingers and its hair is blue... it lays eggs which are made of wood so that they dont smash when falling from such a height and the babies when hatched are winged and spend the first three years of their lives in the treetops.

15. cthulhu77

I must say, it isn't as great as I thought it would be...I don't like how they keep repeating the same shot over and over, just flipping them so it is supposed to look different. And if I hear anyone say "but, 50 million years in the future" one more time, I am going to scream!
    Greg

16. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Aren't the 'experts' not the funniest ever???!!!! sorta twitchy guys that havn't seen daylight for years and can't even look straight at the camera!!! hehehe :lol:

17. cthulhu77

Just like every lab prof. I ever had though...I had one that was a supposed expert on mycology, and had never been in the woods. Ever. Hey, I mean, books are great, but really!
    Greg

18. Clem

Perhaps I'm simply an uncharitable fellow, but the experts seem more than just a little twitchy. I suspect their fantasy lives involve braziers of incense and animal minions. "Praetorian Squibbons, fetch me a sassy new oracle." That sort of thing.

:roll:

19. WhiteKiboko

wouldnt surpirse me...i thouhgt i saw an ad for it on animal planet....ive never been a fan of them... is it me or has scientific tv (discovery, nat'l geo., discovery, etc) gotten a tad preachy? unfortunately i do have something to compare it to... a couple of years ago i lived with 2 bio majors and my then girlfriend..... my partner in crime (one of the bio majors not my gf) and i were subjected to all kinds of inane animal oriented programing but never really preached at..... the past two or three months when ive been flipping channels and beeen taken aback at their attitudes (plus the idiotic home video shows on animal planet)...

is knowledge available anymore without a perspective?

clem - its not only the "experts" but probably the animators too...

20. nanoteuthis

nanoteuthis Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Well, the Big Calamari (a retired high school biology teacher) agrees with y'all about TFIW. Though he enjoys the show immensely, he considers it "info-tainment" with not much basis in evolutionary science. F'rinstance, when it was mentioned that insects would grow larger because "there will be more oxygen in Earth's atmosphere", he immediately questioned why there would be more oxygen (it was never explained). He also doubted that Cephs would move onto the land ( :cry: ~ snif ~)

I don't care, I enjoy it anyway. (Besides, on that show about the Moon, a geologist speculated that if there were no Moon the dominant life form on Earth would probably be Cephs. Deal with that, O ye of little faith!)

Still the dominant life form on this PC (about 50% of the time),
    Me