The Future Is WIld..Is it possible?

if you dont know about it, its a tv show on discovery about the future evolution in animals, amonst those were the swampus ( large venomous octopus living in swamps 100million years in the future, sometimes goes onto land and can stay there for up to 4 days), squibbon (agile, super intelligent arboreal squid, swingin g through the trees 200 million years hence), and megasquid (giant clumsy dumb elephant sized squids 200myh)
do you think the cephalopods of today can one day take over land, replacing all the modern vertebrates? Can they really evolve to create the next civillization? Is the plot even possible?

Re: The Future Is WIld..Is it possible?

legendarycroc said:
do you think the cephalopods of today can one day take over land, replacing all the modern vertebrates? Can they really evolve to create the next civillization? Is the plot even possible?

I haven't seen the show, but I enjoy the plot so much that I don't want anyone to tell me if it is all a bunch of hooey! :wink: My neighborhood could use some :cthulhu: squibbons. :cthulhu:

Melissa

We talked about that for a while...the speculations are fun, but on the whole, very unrealistic. There was an interesting book called the "After Man" by Dougal Dixon on the same vein...makes about as much sense.
greg

wow, so much disagrees, the whole plot is ok though if you think today, if you capture a octopus on board a yacht, it'll crawl out of the container it is in and back into the ocean. Some octopuses can crawl onto the land, in "the future is wild" they showed, an octopus, i couldnt recognize the species, it was crawling onto the sand, and hunting young turtles, this suggests in millions of years this is possible, but i havent seen any squid be able to do the same, simply the shape of the body makes it hard, right? to move on land the body structure would have to change significantly, andthe tentacles have to be much stronger, to support its own body weight like seen on "TFiW" the animals look as if they have no trouble going about on land, there is a reason why there are no giant invertebrates today...they can not suppor tthe weight, if the squids that venture to land are like the size of larger arachnids, it'll make more sense. But in 100myh episode, they showed the special veins surrounding the creature's "lungs" help it breathe...is it really possible?
Other animals have made transitions from sea to land, but it takes time, they have to go through tiem periods where they need to continually go back into the water to replinish oxygen. Then again thats why there was the swampus, but they said the swampus was a descendent of octopus, and the terasquids, from squid, it'll obviously take more time for the squids to adapt on land then octopuses, so its mroe likely for the squibbon and megasquid to be descendents of octopus...the megasquid, the legs are so synchronizerd, it must be from loads of practice, if this animal trips and falls, wouldnt it die? and the slickribbon tht takes over tis body, doesnt anyone think the megasquid is gonna die, from being controlled?

It's [megasquid's] weight would crush itself. You said yourself "the size of an elaphant". Why do you think they have huge, THICK bones? (plus you never see a live one on it's side: its organs would collapse, even with it's huge bones)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back