The exploits of Greenpeace & Kat

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by Steve O'Shea, May 25, 2004.

1. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

Well, our dear Kat is rather excited about what is to happen over the coming month. There is so much at stake.

Although there should be regular updates on the Greenpeace site, Kat will do her level best to provide us with a Tonmo exclusive, sending me updates as often as is humanly possible, that of course I'll post online ... with a little added reference to Neil Diamond (to be expected). In fact when I left the Warrior this eve I am pleased to announce that she was singing along to his all-time classic "I am, I said" .... rosey cheeked, happy, excited, and armed with plankton nets, pottles, formalin and alcohol (to collect a few octopus and squid whilst out and about in international waters). They cast anchor in little more than a few hours.

What an experience this will be for her! Make sure you pay your Greenpeace subscriptions; this is one massive, altruistic undertaking on their part!

2. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

I'd like to opt the rights for that comic book...
    Congrats and best wishes go with her!

3. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

WAY cool! 8) :thumbsup:

4. Steve O'Shea

... well, there they go. Matthew Jones (here at AUT) took this pic.

[​IMG]

5. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Awesome! 8)

6. Steve O'Shea

Well, she's alive and well, and here's the first wee update. Only a couple of days before the fun begins.
    Howdy, it's me! I'm not allowed to send (or receive) attachments (e.g. images) but that may change depending on the circumstances. There's nothing to send at the moment anyway - Roger Grace's camera equipment got re-routed to Korea, of all places, so we have to wait until it arrives tomorrow. [Ed, Roger is a very well known, acclaimed and respected underwater cameraman here in New Zealand].

We're just coming into Matauri Bay for a ceremonial wreath-throwing over the sunken Rainbow Warrior [her final resting place after French saboteurs blew her up in Auckland]. The weather's fine, swell is small (though we rolled a lot in the night) and the sun's out. I have had absolutely no stomach trouble so far, so I'm feeling optimistic for the trip.

Nothing terribly exciting to report yet, but I'll keep in touch once things start happening for real. Everyone on the boat loves Neil Diamond; it's so nice to be amongst such fellow appreciative admirers - you'd fit right in out here [ :wink: ].
    :)
    Kat

7. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

I cant say that i approve of her friends, but hope she has fun/gets something done.....

Masterful stroke by the french that was.... :thumbsup: :cthulhu: :thumbsup:

8. um...

um... Architeuthis Supporter

Frenchmen sinking someone else's boat for a change--quel coup.

9. cthulhu77

Well, the french EOD team did try to surrender the vessel to the germans first, but they couldn't find the title to the ship. I'm amazed they got the colours on the wires right. "Sacre bleau ! EEz it the red one or the white one?"

Hope Kat has a safe trip...those fishermen can get nasty (as I am sure she well knows)
    I do wonder about her sanity..."everyone loves N. D. ????"

10. Steve O'Shea

As was to be expected, most filthy and foul weather has been hit; we're in the midst of a stinking great mid-winter storm down here .... and you-know-who is in the midst of it out at sea.
    Just thought you guys might be interested to know the conditions we are in today. 30-40 knot winds, rain, and 2m swell which doesn't sound big but is enough to break over the side occasionally, and, if you look out the front of the bridge, you can see only sky one minute and only sea the next. Those of us feeling slightly iffy are camped out in the bridge listening to Johnny Cash (captain's choice) and downing soda crackers like there's no tomorrow. It's actually not so bad when I can get my mind off it - reading or emailing is better than watching the bow pitch around - but it might be a long day.

Apparently (someone just said) we are rocking through about 90 degrees, meaning we heel over 45 degrees to starboard and then right back over 45 degrees to port. Well, we all knew this would be an adventure, and it's also apparently nothing compared to what they had on the Tasman on the way over from Australia.
    Wheeee! :heee:

Kat

[Ed, she'll be right. We did one survey aboard my tiny wee pea-green boat that had us spend ~ 2 hours heading offshore in 3-4 metre seas, and we lost the windscreen wiper 2 seconds into the journey when a wave broke over the bow. She handled that like a dream, both boat and Kat, so I think the soda crackers are just a precautionary measure. The winds have abated, but it's still rather wet, onland that is]

11. cthulhu77

Give her our best when she next writes, Doc...mal de mer is no fun ! :mrgreen:
    greg

12. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Too weird, I've just finished watching a video on the original "Rainbow Warrior" and her transformation into a reef!

J

13. Steve O'Shea

14. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

"Orange roughy stocks were sustainable"

Since when can a fish that lives at depth until the ripe old age of 150, not breeding until 30 or 40 years old with low fecundity be part of a sustainable fishery???????????????? :shock:

J

15. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Wow!!! What an adventure!!! Best wishes Kat!!!!

Carol

16. cthulhu77

They play on the general publics knowledge of fish...that being that all fish are like salmon or cod, breeding easily and all over the place...sad.

17. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Note to the obviously Greenpeace affiliated guy pictured in the story from the second link.... its called shampoo.....

“Don’t do drugs, because if you do drugs, you’re a hippie, and hippies suck.”
    - Eric Cartman (Trey Parker) from South Park

:)

18. myopsida

myopsida Vampyroteuthis Supporter

The fisheries "management" argument goes like this: it takes 3-4 years fishing to reduce orange roughy stocks on a seamount to 10- 20% of the original stock, then the vessels move on to target the next seamount(s). As there are over 500 seamounts that have been located to date within the NZ fishing zone, this will allow 100-120 years recovery period before the seamount is fished again....simple eh?

19. Steve O'Shea

Clear as mud M, if there was a single fishing boat out there, and New Zealand 'seamounts' were true oceanographic features rising in excess of 1000 metres from the seabed (and not breaking the sea surface) - not the 100m as defined by NZ MFish (instead of being hills and knolls, most of our seamounts would be pimples, on internationally recognised scales that is).

All rather bizarre.

Of course you'd have to sample/fish the 'seamounts' in a haphazard manner to enable stocks to replenish (lateral migration; if in fact they do this, because we really don't know a lot about their biology/migratory behavior); serial depletion along 'seamount' chains serves only to wipe a fishery out, from the coast to the distal-most part of earth. Also, I don't really think those lovely little benign trawlers sit above one of these features for 3-4 years, smashing, smashing, pummeling, crashing and smashing (did I say smashing?) the seabed fauna (that is intuitively linked via some coupling to benthopelagic roughy stocks) with a declining CPUE.

I don't know what we're all worried about. :heee:

20. myopsida

myopsida Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Dang it Dr O - those fishing people think its a really good conservation strategy and you go spoiling it by adding some facts. (Incidentally, some of those 'hills' are artifacts on the echo sounder caused by the vessel rolling as it undergoes a 180 degree turn to survey the next section - thats why they're all in a regular pattern) :bugout: