The difference between Bimacs.

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hello all, I have a question that I have been trying to answer with a little research. :?: I don't fully understand the broken/unbroken chain attributes of the two species, but is that the only difference? Just curious.

Thanks in advance!

I would also like to inform everyone that Henry is under suspicion for cannibalism. I thought he and Harvey would have plenty of space, and hiding places to get along with one another, but I was wrong.

Hmmmmmm. Exactly what is your question (could you recast it)? Sorry, as written it has me a little confused.
Ta
Steve

Hi Castor and Steve,

I think what Castor is referring to is the difference between O. bimaculatus and Octopus bimaculoides. The bimaculoides is the "bimac" we often refer to on this website.

O. bimaculatus is larger (body 8", arms almost 32"), has a smaller egg size, and a different false eye spot, with a broken chain.

O. bimaculatus (our "bimac") has a body amost 5" long and arms almost 14 inches. It has larger eggs, is more day active, and has an iridescent ring in the form of an unbroken chain.

Steve, you probably have much more information than this, but these are the main differences, as far as I can find.

I've attached an Ollie pic which shows his unbroken ring.

Castor, does this mean that Harvey is missing?

All the best,
Nancy

download.php

Nancy, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the quick response. The picture helped out a lot. You guys are the greatest! :notworth:

Unfortunately, Harvey is either missing, or, as I believe, succumb to Henry's appetite. :frown:

Felix, El Gato!

Interesting, I was wondering about that myself until I found this thread, I have a question myself: How many species of Two-Spot Octos are there, and are there any differences in location? Thanx in advance, OV!

:nautilus: :octopus: :squid: :meso: :ammonite: :nautiloi: :vampyro: :belemnit: :cuttle:

Octopus filosus also has 2 spots like a bimac... quite similar looking

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back