The Chile Globster

'Steve O'Shea, a professor and researcher at the Earth and Ocean Sciences Research Center at the University of Auckland in New Zealand and the world's foremost expert on giant squids, said there have been reports of the giant squid reaching sizes of up to 60 feet, but the largest known specimen that washed ashore on New Zealand measured 55 feet 2 inches in total length.'

How do we misquote thee, let me count the ways... :?

liar.gif

:grad:

The paper:

Sidney K. Pierce, Steven E. Massey, Nicholas E. Curtis, Gerald N. Smith, Jr., Carlos Olavarría and Timothy K. Maugel (2004) Microscopic, Biochemical, and Molecular Characteristics of the Chilean Blob and a Comparison With the Remains of Other Sea Monsters: Nothing but Whales. The Biological Bulletin. 206. 125-133.

http://www.biolbull.org/cgi/content/abstract/206/3/125

Emps[/b]

In a article that said that the only squid you can see is a cuttlefish in a tank..that is so wrong! First of all, cuttles are not squids and the person who said it must do more research as I've seen squid in aquariums you know and they were about the size Dr.SOS has on squidcam...

chrono_war01 said:
maybe it a giant octo bigger than Haliphron atlanticus? I know it sounds like I'm crazy, but who knows? Only hoping that there would be one that big.

Eric, we're all with you hoping for the discovery of an octo bigger than H. atlanticus! This board was really busy when the
Mesonychoteuthis specimen was hauled in. An octo that could be measured in unofficial London bus units would keep us online for days. :shock:

Melissa

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back