The Beginning of the End

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by squishy1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. squishy1

squishy1 Blue Ring Registered

So tomorrow is the 5 month anniversary for my hatchlings, and apparently that means its the beginning of the end. I found another dead today when I got home and went to feed them. I'm not even sure how many are left anymore. A little harder than I thought to see them go, one by one. I can only hope it gets easier. Ugg.

I'd like to make a memorial for these guys, keeping each cuttlebone in its own small clear container. Then take each of them and put them in a really nice wood case to mount on my wall or keep on my desk, kind of like what they use for bug/butterfly collections. Are there any recommondations for what to put their bones in? A few of them feel especially flimsy, and one has already chipped at the top. I'd like to make sure as much as possible they'll be secure and safe from breaking.

R.I.P.

[​IMG]

2. Tentacle Toast

Tentacle Toast GPO Supporter Registered

My condolences on your losses, friend. I don't know if it'd work, but a layer of some type of clearcoat or shellac may serve to protect them from further deterioration in the interim whilst you devise a more permanent memorial....I'd love to see/read about what you ultimately come up with.

3. Wafflez777

Wafflez777 Blue Ring Registered

Sorry about the cuttlefish ): i hope the rest survive.

4. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

did you find that big one all clean and shiny like that? if so i'd search that tank for your missing octo becouse that bone looks alot like the nassarius snail shells look after my octos get done with them

5. squishy1

squishy1 Blue Ring Registered

it was all clean and shiny, but there was also a large amount of flesh attached to it that fell off upon taking it out of the aquarium. Normally I leave their remains in a small container of saltwater to eat away all the flesh and leave the bone. And after watching the octo eat, I don't think they would have left any remains other than the cuttlebone. I actually found the little octo, he musta saw better tasting hermits in the tank next to him, because thats where he was.

It's amazing how closely related octos and cuttles are, and while they share a few common traits, they're as different as apples and oranges.

6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

VERY glad you found the little octo alive!