The amazing colossal

:notworth:
LOVE the Colossal Squid. Amazing. And also that long large finned ceph filmed at depth.
I get to see cuttlefish a lot, changing shape and color, and they are pretty amazing, blue ringed octopus are pretty cool too... BUT big stuff like the males Dr Steve chases is another league entirely.
love your work and hi to everyone!
A GREAT SITE :yinyang:

download.php

Hi and :welcome: to TONMO.com Carolynne!! I really like the pic, it looks like a Sepia latimanus to me but I'm not too sure (ah Zoidberg...). Well hope you'll be able to learn more bout :meso:s and :squid:s here.

Hi Carolynne.

Nice to have you here. Here is a greeting from Mesonychoteuthis itself for you:

:meso: -HI Carolynne!

Have fun!

Phil

Re: The amazing colossal

Carolynne said:
:notworth:
LOVE the Colossal Squid. Amazing. And also that long large finned ceph filmed at depth.

Hi there Carolynne; we really should be exchanging welcomes in another forum, but what the heck - we'll send a big, cheesey :welcome: too.

That long, large-finned deep-sea ceph you refer to has tentatively been referred to Magnapinna, but also to Joubinoteuthis (two extremely scarce, deep-sea brutes). The first Magnapinna described was actually a larva, with no larger specimen known. Just as recently as a couple of days ago I posted a few pics of something that may well be the immature Magnapinna (in this forum ... 'Is this the real Magnapinna?', or something to this effect). Should this badly damaged specimen prove to be Magnapinna, then that long-armed, big-finned deep-sea brute that is known only from submersible footage MUST BE something entirely new (because I cannot see how the small '?Magnapinna' squid could grow into the larger - for one I doubt that it would have any reproductive organ development at all, at this small size).

When a few in the ceph community cotton on to those pics I'm sure that my tentative identification will be hotly contested, but that's why I put it out there.

Several days ago we also had our very first Sepia species identified from NZ waters; there are a few interesting things happening right now .... and soon we'll have our Architeuthis in tanks .... and as time passes so quickly these days, Mesonychoteuthis in the bathtub too.

Stick around. Cheers
Me

Wow. Interesting.

Well thanks folks for the welcome.
wow so there are two types of the meso...that is what u call an appex predator. imagine getting nailed by those two teethy hammers. waiting for the beak to come. shiver :bugout:
Latimanus is the cuttlie in the pic isnt it?
when is the giant squid gonad grinding occuring?
how long a journey will it be?
is there a web site where i can see the boat, the cameras etc?
i ask a lot of questions i warn u now.
this site is fascinating. love it
ps my flatmates are marine bios- an underwater photgragrapher as well... today they saw a nice occy : a cyanea.
i saw a little kingfisher catch a fish today, a nice eagle ray, a rare giant grey heron, and a nice mangrove jack. love living here.

download.php

Re: Wow. Interesting.

Carolynne said:
when is the giant squid gonad grinding occuring?
how long a journey will it be?
is there a web site where i can see the boat, the cameras etc?
i ask a lot of questions i warn u now.

Hi Carolynne; things are about to happen over here, and we're just discussing with other moderators and Tony (da big cheese and founder of this fab site) how best to present the information (leading up to the expedition, and step-by-step accounts of progress, photos and possible video).

You'll find it all here, so don't go away. Ask as many questions as you like.
Kindest
Us (that's everyone)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back