• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

(Thaumoctopus mimicus) Zebra Mimic, questions about them.

Chiming in: if you're thinking about getting one, don't. Besides the fact that they don't mimic in captivity as far as I'm aware (I suppose if the tank was large enough, they might. And I've heard that sometimes they do!), we have no idea about their numbers.

Neogonodactylus gets a pass 'cause he does research on them. I think.

Neogonodactylus;182020 said:
I don't find them shy when they are out feeding.

Roy

Me neither.

I am getting a little confused on TONMO lately with people commenting on specific questions about care and behavior of particular animals that they have no experience with. Actually, I need to clarify that, I am a little confused with people commenting on specific questions about care and behavior of particular animals that they have no experience with as if they do have experience with them.

neurobadger;182025 said:
Chiming in: if you're thinking about getting one, don't. Besides the fact that they don't mimic in captivity as far as I'm aware (I suppose if the tank was large enough, they might. And I've heard that sometimes they do!), we have no idea about their numbers.

Neogonodactylus gets a pass 'cause he does research on them. I think.

I think its important to point out that this is not necessarily the stance that TONMO.com takes, but is rather the expression of an individual.

Here is my take on the exotic ceph situation:

Even experienced ceph keepers with mature tanks should think long and hard before obtaining this species. Their needs are resource intensive, specific, and not yet fully understood. Perhaps more importantly, the size and health of their wild populations is unknown.

Even the sharing of information, photos and video of these animals can be controversial. Some fear that detailed information and attractive photos may encourage inexperienced saltwater aquarists to obtain specimens. Personally, I believe that knowledge should be freely available, rather than hidden from view. I also believe that the admiration of a species can be of benefit to its preservation in the wild rather than its detriment. Furthermore, it is my hope that the information on the site will empower aquarists to make sound, rational decisions regarding the advisability of keeping these very difficult animals.

If you are interested in keeping cephalopods, there are several species that are easily available, better understood and much more inexpensive than wonderpus or flamboyant cuttlefish.

But to answer your question, there are few of us who have kept Thaumoctopus at all, and fewer that have done it long term so the answer to what is there personality like is a bit vague. Some of them have been what I might call outgoing while others have been what I might call shy. What I can say is that they are not your exciting outgoing octopus. If you are looking for an interactive, seemingly intelligent animal in a glass box in your house, there are other cephs that fit the bill better than any of the exotics.

I picked one up. It came in with 2 arms severed with 1 having signs of growing back and the other may have just happened not long ago but healing.

I find it to hang on the sides of the tank mostly (90% of the time) with the other 10% in the sand but enough sticking out to find it. Doesn't seem to be shy. I had rocks in the aquarium but the Mimic never went in them or from what I saw around them.

First 5 days it refused food. On the 6th day I held a fiddler crap with tongs and it came over, grabbed it, I let go of the crab and it took 20 minutes ish to eat.

I'm not worried about it "mimicing", I enjoy it. It's pretty cool.

Thanks for the replies.

Another old thread, but I'll ask & check back in a few months; how is (was) your experience with the mimic? I hope you ended up keeping a detailed journal. Would you describe the setup you had it in please?

Also, I know, & mostly agree with the consensus that these cephs shouldn't be purchased as too little is known about their wild population numbers, habits, & requirements for care in captivity, but the whole situation kind of reminds me of the golden toad (the Latin name evades me). They were ultimately banned from collecting & possessing, then went extinct; their natural habitat destroyed. It wasn't until decades later that it was discovered that captive populations existed in secret, as having them was criminal. The only reason this species is extant today is due to poaching..which I abhor, but in this one instance at least, saved a remarkable creature from the sands of time. I'm certainly not advocating their collection or ownership, but there's certainly a catch-22 here. Buy them, & you're fueling a market for their capture, don't, & already collected animals that in the right hands could exponentially expand our knowledge base, die in the "care" of those seeking the moment's top trophy. I'm certainly not going to try my hand at them, as my best intentions would most likely pave their road to hell, but I can't help thinking of those golden toads...

TT that might be a consideration if we had succeeded in learning to keep small egg (as is the case with both mimic and Wunderpus) octopuses of any species alive and reproducing. To date, this is not the case and until we can achieve success with small egg octopus in an aquarium, leaving them to populate in their dissipating environment gives them a better chance.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back