• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Texas holey rock in saltwater ceph aquarium

Leigh

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hello, It's been awhile since I've posted but I have a quick question. Is there any downfalls about using texas holey rock in a saltwater aquarium for a ceph. Does it cause ph spikes or any other weird stuff?

It's mainly composed of calcium carbonate. We have a large piece in Grover's tank, about 30lbs.

Main thing is just clean it good. Soak it in clean RO water and scrub it down.

It is really porous and heavy (limestone) I think rock with alot of holes in it and it is very white. When you put your rock in with your octo did the other live rock you had help the holey rock get covered in algae?

The piece I have has been in the tank for a long time, long before the octopus. We added coral pieces that came on really nice live rock. Within a few months the white disappeared and was covered in coralline, mushrooms, star polyps, various sponge and just about anything else that grows on live rock.

The bonus is the price, the downside is that it is ridiculously heavy and not that porous. Lots of big holes, not so much permeable though. I wouldn't ever consider it "Live" except on the outside.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back