Texas holey rock in saltwater ceph aquarium

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by Leigh, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Leigh

Leigh Pygmy Octopus Registered

Hello, It's been awhile since I've posted but I have a quick question. Is there any downfalls about using texas holey rock in a saltwater aquarium for a ceph. Does it cause ph spikes or any other weird stuff?

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

It's mainly composed of calcium carbonate. We have a large piece in Grover's tank, about 30lbs.

Main thing is just clean it good. Soak it in clean RO water and scrub it down.

3. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

So I've lived in Texas a long time and have never heard of Texas holey rock - could you tell me more?

Nancy

4. Leigh

Leigh Pygmy Octopus Registered

It is really porous and heavy (limestone) I think rock with alot of holes in it and it is very white. When you put your rock in with your octo did the other live rock you had help the holey rock get covered in algae?

5. daddysquoc

daddysquoc Wonderpus Registered

sounds like itd be rich in calcium.

6. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

The piece I have has been in the tank for a long time, long before the octopus. We added coral pieces that came on really nice live rock. Within a few months the white disappeared and was covered in coralline, mushrooms, star polyps, various sponge and just about anything else that grows on live rock.

The bonus is the price, the downside is that it is ridiculously heavy and not that porous. Lots of big holes, not so much permeable though. I wouldn't ever consider it "Live" except on the outside.