Tentarcticles (Mesonychoteuthis / Colossal Squid)

The mantle, fins and head have a rigid internal fibreglass frame, covered in a thick layer of latex; the arms and tentacles are completely latex.
Cheers
O

Hello Steve,

Don't know where else to post this, so:

Colossal Squid Rendering

It's on a page explaining the mission of DeepOcean Quest, a deep-sea exploration outfit. Elsewhere, in the outreach section of the site, they have some good information on Mesonychoteuthis and Architeuthis. The renderings look good, although Messie's fins don't look quite like those on the holotype.

Apart from imparting some star power, I wonder if these squids presence on the site indicates anything about Deep Oceanquest's ambitions? Peter Batson, author of "Deep New Zealand" is on their staff.

Cheers,
Clem

Ta Clem. I actually worked with Peter on this image (it could have been his brother that did it). I was given rather 'strict' instructions not to use the image (as in post it online) as it was commissioned for a client (although I use it in all of my talks).

Peter was actually doing his PhD at the University of Otago (bottom of NZ), but withdrew so that he could go chasing beasties around the ocean with Ocean Quest. He deserves both a slap on the wrist for withdrawing (because he's a rather bright lad), but at the same time a pat on the back for his new job. I hope that one day he gets back into it.

Steve O'Shea said:
I was given rather 'strict' instructions not to use the image (as in post it online) as it was commissioned for a client (although I use it in all of my talks).
Steve,

How do you keep track of all the "DO NOT DISTRIBUTE" injunctions on your sehkrit image stash? A mnemonic device? Or, do you just file the sehkrit ones in your moustache?

:wink:

Cheers,
Clem

Many, many apologies for the quality of the picture, but here is a tentacle club of Messie that is stored at the Natural History Museum in London. I did not dare use a flash at the time as this was in the specimen collection, and the picture is a little shakey. Nonetheless, here it is anyway.

Attachments

• conv_288437.jpg
    conv_288437.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 129
Interesting pic, nevertheless. Notice again a slightly triangular keel on the club; It's probably all about hydrodynamics and convergent evolution on basis thereof that this seems to be a feature shared by both Mesonycho- and Architeuthis. I wonder what it teaches us about "striking speed" as part of feeding behaviour, when modeled.

Errm considering this site has been rebooted; and the older photos lost. Would it be possible (for those who still have them) to re-post the pictures of the colossals quid being made for AFO?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back