Tentarcticles (Mesonychoteuthis / Colossal Squid)

.... no need to now; it's all happening!

Here's a series of pics. The original model has since been destroyed (much sadness), but this was necessary in order to build the resin cast :cry: I'll try and salvage something from this ... as in have a 1/2 squid poking through the wall (like they do in those cafe's with cars).

The 'beast' is presently being poured ... and it comes out of its cast tomorrow (much excitement). The rubber that you'll see in these shots is worth ~ NZ$2000/bucket! Colossal costs!

The mantle and head will be bolted together, the entire thing cast in rubber, then splatter painted (photophores) .... but more shots tomorrow, the day after ... and then more .....

download.php

download.php

download.php

A peek into the guts of the thing (2 skins, resin interior, fibreglass exterior, a pour point into which the rubber goes, and Barry mixing the rubber ....

download.php

download.php

download.php

Close up of rather expensive rubber, head in scaffholding, Barry in scaffholding (with Justin 'just in' the frame doing the big point; Justin is the main man making this model).

download.php

download.php

download.php

.... emergency surgery (coz the rubber leaked through the cracks.....).

.... Barry (a little birdy tells me) has actually been in some cornflakes commercial in the UK; he also had a role on Xena (not that I ever watched Xena....)

download.php

download.php

download.php

So coooool...

Steve O'Shea said:
The rubber that you'll see in these shots is worth ~ NZ$2000/bucket! Colossal costs!

:shock: What is that stuff? How much is this model going to cost, again?

anyone want to guess what the 'mystery knobs' are?

Really expensive, really foul-tasting gumdrops?

LOL (re gumdrops); in excess of $120K .... yikes! .... but you just wait until morrow; we're looking at the exterior of a skungy fibreglass mould right now ..... I'm buzzing!!!

Tiz a sehkrit that ya' all gotta figure out; tiz an important lesson in squid morphology.

11? 8 for arms, 2 for tentacles and one spare casting, just in case?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back