• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Ten hour power outage

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
A couple of weeks ago, with the temperature well over 100 degrees, we experienced a major power failure. The longest we had previously gone without power was three hours.

I tracked the effects on my tank temperatures. The most important factor was that the house air conditioning was set at 71 degrees, and being reasonably insulated, it took a long time for the house temperature to rise. At the end of 10 hours it was 83 degrees. The two tanks are kept at 77 and 78 degrees. After 8 hours, the temperatures had risen to over 80 degrees, so I floated a quart bag 1/3 full of ice cubes in each, and also added a small air pump with bubbler tip. (I have no cephs in my tanks right now - just corals and fish. I couldn't use a bubbler with octopuses). Anyway, that was enough, and the tanks came through this ordeal in perfect shape.

Nancy

I keep frozen RO/DI water (I can only find water with minerals added now but still buy the bottled rather than freezing my own) in our lower freezer at all times just for this issue. While I was home, it was no problem to swap out the bottles every hour or so but it is more of a concern now that I am away during the day.

A battery powered fan, or one plugged into a computer battery backup will cool the water more then ice. Of course this will also increase your evaporation.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back