• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

temp.

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
so ive been able to maintain about 70 degrees in my apartment, but occasionally it gets warmer. i know octopi are decently temp. resistant, but how warm can it get before it becomes a problem?

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
although ive been contemplating an o vulgaris. i dont know too much about vulgaris though. the two spot would just be easier for me to get. there arent really any good LFSs in my area, so ill probably end up goin out to catch one. by the way, does anybody know what kind of license i need for that?

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
vulgaris get very large, I forget what the recommended tank size is, but it's in the 150-200gal range. We also haven't seen them sold at all in the trade for years, really... although many other species are sold as "vulgaris" because it appears many suppliers just say "vulgaris" or "bimac" instead of "we have no idea."

bimac, hummelincki, aculeatus, and briareus seem to be the octos that are the best pet octos that are commonly available, although if you have a big enough tank, vulgaris have a reputation for being clever, interactive, and very good escape artists.

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
yea. the LFS i talked to can only get vulgaris. they dont sell any local octos. im not sure if thats something illegal or what? anyone know?

jellyman

O. vulgaris
Registered
Keith;119554 said:
yea. the LFS i talked to can only get vulgaris. they dont sell any local octos. im not sure if thats something illegal or what? anyone know?
Most states have laws that do not allow native species of that state to be sold unless they have been collected from out of that state and most shops still do not carry them because they need to have proof that the animal was collected out of state. For example, noone in Kansas carries western box turtles because they are native to Kansas even though they can get them from collectors in Missouri and other states. That may be why??

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
ive also been looking at aculeatus. i cant find anything about how to care for them online though. does anyone know there temp. recommendations and if they are cool for a 75 gallon tank? i want that bimac, but it looks like its gonna be a hardcore pain in the ass to get it.

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Bimacs are illegal to sell but yes, you can collect one yourself with the right paperwork. Talk to your local fish and wildlife office to get that.

Members online

No members online now.