Teaching an octopus new tricks....

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Davinci, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Davinci

Davinci Cuttlefish Registered

Hi Everyone I like to know if anyone has any experience on teaching your pet octos tricks such as opening jars and etc... I like to teach my octo some tricks but he doesn't seen to respond to anything I add to the tank. Please help.

Please list.
    Your octo specie:
    What kind of trick:
    How you taught the trick to your octo:

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

You'll be the first that I know of.

Only trick i ever saw was when you put food in the tank the octopus makes it disappear. :roflmao:
    I played 'games' like Hide-n-seek, but I did not train the octopus she trained me. She would hide then I would find her with a flashlight, then she would come out, and repeat.

3. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Hi and welcome to the site!

This seems to be your first post, and you have an octopus, so we'd like to add it to the List of Our Octopuses. Could you please tell us its name, the species, and where you got it?

Yes, a few of our octopuses have done tricks, but not all octopuses are interested in games or jar opening.

As far as opening a jar, you start by putting a piece of food (such as a small crab or piece of shrimp) in a jar and just place the lid on top - don't screw it on at all. Keep doing this each day, and very gradually begin to screw the top on. Your octopus will figure out how to open the barely screwed on jar lid, and then slowly learn to open the jar.

Pull the stick is often the first game they play.

Nancy

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I think both CaptFish and I failed to realize that was a trick :wink: I suspect teaching them NOT to take the feeding stick would be more of a true training success.

5. Davinci

His name is Davinci. I believe its a Bimac since it has 2 fake eyes. I got him at my LFS.

Thanks for the replies...

6. CaptFish

What is the water temperature of your tank?

7. Davinci

It goes from 75 to 79. It is at 76.9 at the moment.

8. Davinci

9. CaptFish

Then I hope its not a bimac! they are a cold water species, more like 60 degree water. Since it is still alive it is likely a Hummelincki, or Caribbean two spot octopus. We have seen a few of these show up lately, it must be there time of the year. To amke sure of may it is you mat want to call your LFS and ask where it came from. Also we have not seen Bimacs for sale in quite a while now, the few members that have them caught their own.

10. Davinci

Then it might be a Caribbean two spot octopus since I live in Florida. How can I tell the difference?

11. CaptFish

Post some pics we can identify it usually. I currently have one that even the experts don't know.

12. DWhatley

As Nancy mentions, leaning to get into a jar has been done by several of us. We don't "teach" the "trick" but some will decide to figure it out where others just ignore the difficult food and wait for easy offerings, mine lost interest after the first few successes. I don't think anyone on the site has attempted a maze or symbol recognition but many of us have learned to interact with our animals (more rewarding than symbol recognition unless you are doing a study). CaptFish and LMecher have had ample opportunities to describe the water cannon abilities (again, not something we teach) with Penny and el Diablo. Other octos will squit keepers on occassion but these two have decided to make it part of their interaction routine. We tend to find them interesting enough with their own antics and don't worry much about inventing things for them to do :grin:

Here is a photo I marked up for helping to identify an O. hummelincki but this species has some anomolies.

13. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

I watched the first video of the O. v and saw nothing that I would equate to learning - just normal predatory behavior.

Roy

14. djkaty

djkaty Vampyroteuthis Registered

I'm a bit surprised by this thread, I thought teaching tricks was par for the course :)

I have been thinking for a while what tricks an octopus could potentially be taught, but I will say that as soon as I have an octopus that is happy and comfortable I will be building mazes and symbol games for it :P

15. DWhatley

Octopuses have often been compared to cats. Where I would disagree with this as an intelligence comparison, there is a similarity in that octos do what they want when they want and are not consistent in their behavior :grin:.

16. Davinci

Here is a video since I have not figured out how to upload pictures yet. If anyone can tell me how to upload pictures I will post them.
    I greatly appreciate all the feedback.

17. DWhatley

Uploading Pictures
    For a more wordy description see:
    http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?19387-Getting-To-Know-Me&p=149343#post149343
    From the Quick Reply entry box
    Scroll down and click on the Go Advanced button
    Scroll down a little and click the Manage Attachments button
    .....This will open an additional window/tab
    Click one of the Browse button buttons
    .....This will open a pop-up window showing a directory on your computer
    .....Locate your picture directory and select your photo(s)
    .....Depending upon your browser, you can select one or more pictures at a time
    Click the Open button after you have selected your pictures
    .....The actual button word may be different between browsers)
    .....The full directory path for your selected file will show in the text box next to the browse button clicked.
    .....Up to 4 photos may be added to a post using the 4 different browse buttons.
    Click the Upload Files button when all your photos are selected.
    .....The list of uploaded pictures will be visible under Current Attachements
    .....To discard one of the files, click the Remove button acoss from the undesired picture.
    Click the Close this Window located at the top right of the window.
    .....You will be returned to your posting for further editing (if desired) and your photos will be attached.
    Click the Submit Reply button as you normally would to finish posting

18. Davinci

Here are some pictures I was able to transfer.

Please let me know if these pics are good enough to tell octo's specie...
    If not I will take more.

Thanks everyone.

Attached Files:

19. CaptFish

I'm sticking to my guess of Hummelincki. and adding that i think its a male.

20. DWhatley

I agree with CaptFish on the species (no call on gender, my first 5 guesses are usually wrong). If you would like to see other photos and experiences with hummelincki/filosus, look at the top of this Journals and Photos forum for stuck threads labled "List of Our Octopuses" followed by a year. The lists show the species, animal name and from 2008 forward have links to the journals.

Would you mind if I moved this thread to the Journals and Photo's forum? It can remain here but it helps to collect the adventures of individual animals in one forum and reserve this one for care questions and observations.