• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tapewater for Octopuses?

Lov80

O. vulgaris
Registered
I have a simply question:
Would the use of tapewater be harmful for Octopuses?
(Seasalt + tapewater)
I never had trouble using tapewater for seawatertanks with fishes, snails and corals!

My immediate reaction is NO but, as almost always is the case, there are some exceptions. Municipal tap water (ie not from a well) contains some form of chlorine (the worst being chloramine (a combination of chlorine and ammonia - considered safe at human ph levels but not so much so at the higher ocean approximating levels. You will need to check on which is used by your specific county). Additionally, some water will contain unacceptable levels of copper (trace amounts can be deadly to octopuses but not to scaled fish). Most octopus keepers either buy or make RO/DI filtered water.

I am not sure. I suspect that maintaining a high (8.3) pH may be more difficult (I seem to have this issue even with running my RO water through a DI filter) and it may be harder to fully dissolve everything in the saltwater mix but I don't know of any direct issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back