• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tankmates??

Bigpapa

Wonderpus
Registered
Hello all.... well I guess I am gonna give this a try again...
Anyway, I have time to burn first. I will be moving in about a month and a half and plan on upgrading my 60gal to something in the 120-180 range.
I am looking to put a diurnal octo in there-one of these med size spec like the bimac or briarius.
Soooo, my question is this- I have seen tanks with octos and fish together. I know the tank I am looking to move to SHOULD be large enough to accomplish this and give them enough space to not be interacting too often. What might be compatible fish to get along?

BTW, this is not an idea set in stone and I am completely expecting to be advised not to do this. If this is how you feel please by all means lmk, as many of you know me I have no problem getting advice.
The space I will have for this tank will allow for the larger tank so I had hoped for diversity in there so before I do make those ideas in stone I want to get my game plan together.

Thanks as always..

Why not do a fish tank with the new aquarium and use the 60 for an octo (or will that make the new house seem to be the same size as your current residence?):sagrin: Hey, you directed me here :yinyang:

Well, since you bring it up-- I have now gotten consumed by these friggin tanks. We have a 24 gal aquapod salt with a dwarf lionfish, a 55 gal freshwater discus tank, a 70 gal bow that will be another fw tank, the 60 was going to be sold and upgraded because that would keep us @ 4 tanks--im thinkin that is plenty. I think I might just be disturbed...

You have a common disease known as MTS, for some, it is terminal.

Be very careful with your dwarf. Mine was beautiful and not aggressive until he was over a year old. The first sting, I blamed on myself for "running" into him with my hand while cleaning. It hurt but I happened to have hot water running and the next day I was fine. The second was barely noticable but the third was the charm (all I was doing was placing a fallen coral back while talking on the phone). It has been months and I still have a problem with the finger (he got the joint). This time I know he actually attacked. Try talking on the phone with your mother and trying not to let her know you did something really stupid and are in a lot of pain. Two days later Trundle jumped out of the tank and I found him a few minutes too late. I think the aggression and his ultimate demise may have been that the tank was too small but maybe he was just attacking one of his life long tank mates as I had noticed the pygmy angle had no fear of him and may have actually harrassed him.

Ahhh, yeah I figure I took care of most of my possible incedences like those by going with the pod. It is inclosed and I am super carefull anytime the lid opens. It is so self contained that not much reaching in is needed. I use a brush long enough for me to not reach in. BTW, remember I am allergic to shellfish? and my gf is allergic to bee stings--neither I want to test a lionfish sting with. :frown: I did have a bluethroat trigger recently jump out of my 60 and dry up b4 I got home from work-- open air tank and prob my last after having a $65 fish dry up on the floor because he wanted to see if fish could fly...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back