Tankmates - What Works and What Doesn't

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Dave, Thanks for the copy on my extemporaneous work of art :biggrin2: It likely needs a little work for an official post since it was off the top of my head (staff members feel free - better to edit than add comments I think) but a good idea to post a list where we can reference it and not have to write a new one for an often asked question.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Video of a puffer and cuttlefish - this time the ceph didn't survive

The following video from shunt1 shows the unfortunate demise of a cuttlefish at the hands of a puffer fish. Per shunt1, The Cuttle was large enough that I did not think that it would be a problem for these two to live with each other. To my horror, this is what I captured on video. That Puffer was almost served for dinner tonight! -- Steve (shunt1)

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Video that over dramatically explains (painful to watch) why I strongly recommend "NO fish" with an octopus and counters the often stated, "they live together in the wild"

sirreal

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
All great info. I wanted to add a couple things to the ok list. Well at least they were ok for me. I kept several brain and maze corals which Tranny touched all the time and had no issues with. I also had a large mat of Green star polyps that were touched with out issue. I also had several pieces of monti cap corals that he liked because it created a shelve for him to hide under. I did have some palys that he touched and quickly pulled away from so they were a big No and I removed them. Lots of leathers Xenia kenia trees. I also had no issue with frog spawn and hammers but I would not even try a torch because they sting much harder. I kept a few different Leptos with no issue. I also had multiple montis that he touched. I kind of think it goes by if it is a coral that will have coral warfare with another coral then it would be a stinging coral but i could be wrong. The other thing I want to mention is Tranny is a O.Briareus which live around coral reefs in the wild and might not be bothered by some of the coral stings like other Octopus. I had posted some Vids in the past that showed my system and it was pretty full of corals and tranny lived a long happy life in it. Just my 2 cents

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Another video (in situ) showing a robust, O. cyanea being harassed by fish

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an O. vulgaris, again with damsels but I have seen wrasse doing the same to an octopus in St. Maarten.

KD5054

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
On the known successful list to be kept with an octopus- are any of those recommended for a beginner aquarist. Basically what I'm planning is to start on hardier species with my marine tank before I get an octopus. Allowing for the learning process. If there is a species that I can get that I can keep down the road when I get my octo that'd be great.
Suggestions?