• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank temperature problems

There are a lot of reasons not to use ice cubes directly in your tank. You don't want to have a drastic temperature change in your tank (just as you don't want a big change in sg or pH). Whatever you do must be implemented slowly.

You don't want to have the ice cubes floating there like little icebergs for your octopus to touch (maybe even get his arm stuck on one).

Remove the octopus? You'd have to catch it - not an easy task, and most people don't have another emply tank to put their octo in.

Then too, you'd have to use RO/DI water or you'd be adding water of poor quality to your tank.

There are a lot of better ways to lower the temperature than using ice cubes.

Nancy

Nancy said:
There are a lot of reasons not to use ice cubes directly in your tank. You don't want to have a drastic temperature change in your tank (just as you don't want a big change in sg or pH). Whatever you do must be implemented slowly.

You don't want to have the ice cubes floating there like little icebergs for your octopus to touch (maybe even get his arm stuck on one).

Remove the octopus? You'd have to catch it - not an easy task, and most people don't have another emply tank to put their octo in.

Then too, you'd have to use RO/DI water or you'd be adding water of poor quality to your tank.

There are a lot of better ways to lower the temperature than using ice cubes.

Nancy

Sorry, then I guess my idea was stupid.
I forgot about that.

I agree...soda bottles or plastic bags can work. Also, if it's time to add freshwater anyway, then (RO-water) ice can work. But still...if you work out what's involved, ice just isn't a practical solution for daily use...it's really only best for the odd situation where something has gone wrong and the tempereature has spiked a lot. If you can't work something out with making sure your lights aren't too bright/too close, using room AC, having an open lid or sump, and a fan actively encouraging evaporative cooling, then you need to consider a chiller.

rusty

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back