Tank temperature problems

steve671

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
#1
The temperature in my tank is consistantly 86-88 degrees. I really do not want to buy a chiller.
Are there any ocots that can handle this type of heat?
Thanks
 

Colin

Colossal Squid
Supporter
#2
Some of the tropical species can live in warmer water but even 88 is pushing it for a marine tank...

Have you looked at other ways to keep your tank cool? Perhaps fans or similar?

What live sin your tank now? Are there big MH lights on the tank?
 

steve671

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
#3
There is nothing in th tank right now besides about 40 pounds of live rock and 2 inch deep live sand bed. There are also no lights on the tank yet. I had planned on adding a 65 watt power compact.

Do you know which species that are tropical?
 

Colin

Colossal Squid
Supporter
#4
Best idea would be to ask your LFS what species theycan get and where they come from... obviously you want a reef species...

Is there no other way you can cool your tank down? Put it somewhere cooler near A/C or something???
 

steve671

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
#5
The only thing that I can think of is to get the pumps out of the water. That would mean replace the Rio 2500 return pump with a non submersable. And replace my euroreef skimmer with a non submersable skimmer. But then that would probably exeed the cost of a chiller.

Any idea what the highest temp a Bimac can safely live in?
 

b25oshea

Blue Ring
Registered
#7
Late Reply

I realize this response is rather late...
I effectively reduced and stabilized an overheated tank by installing an air-conditioner. However, the room the tank was in was rather small.
 

Armstrong

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
#9
Re: Tank temperature problems

steve671 said:
The temperature in my tank is consistantly 86-88 degrees. I really do not want to buy a chiller.
Are there any ocots that can handle this type of heat?
Thanks
ummm, Mabye the AC can totally make the water much cooler if the tank is in a room and u can close the door and let the room chill up a bit.
It could work.
 

dbbga

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
#10
I had the same prob. I took a Soda cooler, drilled holes oppisite each other on the sides of the cooler, about 4" from the bottom. Attached a quick connect to the hose of my return on my canisterand connected longerhose which runs thru the cooler in a coil. Then out of the cooler and another quick connect back to the tank. I fill the cooler with alittle water, then keep frozen pop bottles in the freezer. I put three at a time in and keep the lid closed. Stays cold almost 2-1/2 days, then replace the pop bottles. Not the prettiest but my tank stays cool now. If you dont have a canister type filter, im sure there is a submersable type pump you can use in the cooler to recirculate the water and just make it loop in the tank. I hope this made sense, it has really worked great for me :D
Oh I also put pipe insulation all the way up to the tank on the outside of the cooler were the chilled water comes out of the cooler. This keeps the water cold until it reaches the tank.Hope this helps someone :?
 

dbbga

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
#14
:roll: :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :x ya know this topic is really not a joke :?
 

Armstrong

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
#15
dbbga said:
:roll: :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :x ya know this topic is really not a joke :?
Im sorry!
Do u mean my ice cubes was a joke? Well it wasn't.
Im sorry if I wasn't specific enough.
Look, mabye u can take the octopus out of your tank IF U HAVE ONE and put it in a bag or something for a few hours with saltwater in it.
Then try putting HUGE ice cubes in your tank. Put a LOT of it becuase the more ice cubes the more colder.

Im sorry if my idea sucked, but I tried to help. Iv done it b4 and it worked if u put LOADS of icecubes in your tank. It may bring down the salinity, but it cools it down a bit.
 

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator
#16
There are a lot of reasons not to use ice cubes directly in your tank. You don't want to have a drastic temperature change in your tank (just as you don't want a big change in sg or pH). Whatever you do must be implemented slowly.

You don't want to have the ice cubes floating there like little icebergs for your octopus to touch (maybe even get his arm stuck on one).

Remove the octopus? You'd have to catch it - not an easy task, and most people don't have another emply tank to put their octo in.

Then too, you'd have to use RO/DI water or you'd be adding water of poor quality to your tank.

There are a lot of better ways to lower the temperature than using ice cubes.

Nancy
 

Armstrong

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
#17
Nancy said:
There are a lot of reasons not to use ice cubes directly in your tank. You don't want to have a drastic temperature change in your tank (just as you don't want a big change in sg or pH). Whatever you do must be implemented slowly.

You don't want to have the ice cubes floating there like little icebergs for your octopus to touch (maybe even get his arm stuck on one).

Remove the octopus? You'd have to catch it - not an easy task, and most people don't have another emply tank to put their octo in.

Then too, you'd have to use RO/DI water or you'd be adding water of poor quality to your tank.

There are a lot of better ways to lower the temperature than using ice cubes.

Nancy
Sorry, then I guess my idea was stupid.
I forgot about that.
 

rrtanton

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
#19
I agree...soda bottles or plastic bags can work. Also, if it's time to add freshwater anyway, then (RO-water) ice can work. But still...if you work out what's involved, ice just isn't a practical solution for daily use...it's really only best for the odd situation where something has gone wrong and the tempereature has spiked a lot. If you can't work something out with making sure your lights aren't too bright/too close, using room AC, having an open lid or sump, and a fan actively encouraging evaporative cooling, then you need to consider a chiller.

rusty
 

Members online

No members online now.