• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

tank size

GregW

Hatchling
Registered
I currently have a 200 gallon reef/frag system and I want to tie an octopus tank into it. How small of a tank can I have for a bimac considering it will be connected to this 200 gallon system?

I still would not go with anything less than the length of 55 to allow enough swimming room. I have not kept a bimac but have had 3 hummelinckis (smaller than a bimac but similar in needs) and the swimming length of a standard 55 was fully used daily, even when they were not full grown.

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome

Bimacs require cooler water temperatures than a reef tank: Lower seventies, but it's even better to have a chiller and keep the tank in the sixties. .

There are other species that could live with reef temperatures, such as O. briareus. If you tanks are interconneted, what will happen when the octopus inks?

Nancy

Why hello there Greg!!

I would have to agree with dwhatley on this one and say that you shouldn't use anything smaller then a 55 gallon. (for a bimac that is):smile:

Warmest Welcomes,

Tiffany

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back