• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

tank size v cuttlefish quanitity

i am also curious about this for i have been wanting a bandensis and i am probably only going as high as a 50 gal. tank. unless i get an 100 gal. tank. but still i want this question to be answered.

um... it has been a while since anyone has answered this. hello. can someone with cuttlefish expirence *cough* Thales *cough* answer this. please.

I would say no more than 3. You will not know until you have the S. bandensis for awhile whether you have males or females. If you have all males, you will have them fighting with each other and they will need to have enough space to retreat after they are finished fighting. I don't know how many Thales has kept together, but he is a special case, with a lot of experience.

I had three (2 males, 1 female) in a 55 gallon with a sump. I personally wouldn't put more than three in my system.
Jennifer

cuttlegirl;92739 said:
I would say no more than 3. You will not know until you have the S. bandensis for awhile whether you have males or females. If you have all males, you will have them fighting with each other and they will need to have enough space to retreat after they are finished fighting. I don't know how many Thales has kept together, but he is a special case, with a lot of experience.

I had three (2 males, 1 female) in a 55 gallon with a sump. I personally wouldn't put more than three in my system.
Jennifer

It's also worth noting that (unless I'm mistaken) your system has adequate filtration for cephs, which I bet is a lot more than an off-the-shelf 55 you'd get as a package in an LFS, right? I'm not sure if 3 cuttles would overload such a system or not, but 3 cuttles in a 55 probably will only be safe, or at least ideal, with the right setup.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back