• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Tank Size for six S. bandensis

Nippel

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Hello,

what would you say, is a 55g tank to small for 6 cuttles or would that be enogh?

I've red that it's recommend to use a 75g tank for 6 of the cuttles. I ask because of the tank propotions, i like a 24x24x24" square tank. If that is to small I take a 30x19x24" tank or something like that. That would not be the problem.

L8 2 RISE

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
If it's not a problem, go with the bigger tank. Why are you set on 6 cuttles? It would be a squeeze...

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
I had three cuttlefish in a 55 gallon. I would say that three would be the maximum in a 55 gallon tank unless you had one male and 5 females. The males need room to display at each other and sometimes fight. I had two males and one female.

Nippel

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I have 6 baby cuttles now in a very small 30g Tank. Its only for a short time from now.

I move house this summer and at the new city I'll have a bigger tank. Untill now it's not possible to define gender so i don't know how much males I have.

Mhh. Okay then I'll look for 75g or bigger. It's also a question about the price, I'm a poor student^^

Thanks for your help.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
Nippel;136822 said:
I have 6 baby cuttles now in a very small 30g Tank. Its only for a short time from now.

I move house this summer and at the new city I'll have a bigger tank. Untill now it's not possible to define gender so i don't know how much males I have.

Mhh. Okay then I'll look for 75g or bigger. It's also a question about the price, I'm a poor student^^

Thanks for your help.
Can you look for a used reef tank that is for sale? That's how I got my 55 gallon. Since it had live coral, I wasn't so worried about the copper issue. And since it had live rock/coral, I only had a mini-cycle when I moved it to my house. The majority of the cost from the cuttles is keeping them fed - but you already know that... :grin:

Members online

No members online now.