Tank Size for six S. bandensis

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by Nippel, May 8, 2009.

1. Nippel

Nippel O. bimaculoides Registered

Hello,

what would you say, is a 55g tank to small for 6 cuttles or would that be enogh?

I've red that it's recommend to use a 75g tank for 6 of the cuttles. I ask because of the tank propotions, i like a 24x24x24" square tank. If that is to small I take a 30x19x24" tank or something like that. That would not be the problem.

2. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

If it's not a problem, go with the bigger tank. Why are you set on 6 cuttles? It would be a squeeze...

3. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

I had three cuttlefish in a 55 gallon. I would say that three would be the maximum in a 55 gallon tank unless you had one male and 5 females. The males need room to display at each other and sometimes fight. I had two males and one female.

4. Nippel

Nippel O. bimaculoides Registered

I have 6 baby cuttles now in a very small 30g Tank. Its only for a short time from now.

I move house this summer and at the new city I'll have a bigger tank. Untill now it's not possible to define gender so i don't know how much males I have.

Mhh. Okay then I'll look for 75g or bigger. It's also a question about the price, I'm a poor student^^

Thanks for your help.

5. djdime

djdime GPO Registered

my 6 are in a 68" x 24" x 20"

6. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Can you look for a used reef tank that is for sale? That's how I got my 55 gallon. Since it had live coral, I wasn't so worried about the copper issue. And since it had live rock/coral, I only had a mini-cycle when I moved it to my house. The majority of the cost from the cuttles is keeping them fed - but you already know that... :grin: