• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank size for large species

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Anyone out there working in a public aquarium who keeps GPO's? We have the chance (yay!) to design and build a new octopus exhibit. Our old tank was about 3000L and we felt it was a bit on the small side for our Pinnoctopus cordiformis, so we'd love some idea of size other facilities use for these large species (we need to justify to those who hold the money!).

Cheers

Jean

We just built a GPO exhibit at our facility and its approximately 1500 gallons, not including the water in the sump, sand filter, etc. It was all made possible by a very generous donor, and I have to say that it has been stressful, to say the least, but worth every second. I've absolutely fallen in love with these amazing creatures,

Sooooooo that's about 5700L, Yep thought our old one was a bit small, they always looked "happier" in the 5000 tank but it's too bright and has no real way to put in a good den. Where do you work?

Here's Lloyd in our 5000!

I am a Collection Manager at the Rosamond Gifford Zoo in Syracuse, NY. Our exhibit opened just a few weeks ago and has quickly become very popular.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back