Tank size for large species

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by Jean, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Anyone out there working in a public aquarium who keeps GPO's? We have the chance (yay!) to design and build a new octopus exhibit. Our old tank was about 3000L and we felt it was a bit on the small side for our Pinnoctopus cordiformis, so we'd love some idea of size other facilities use for these large species (we need to justify to those who hold the money!).

Cheers

Jean

2. elechick2

elechick2 Larval Mass Registered

We just built a GPO exhibit at our facility and its approximately 1500 gallons, not including the water in the sump, sand filter, etc. It was all made possible by a very generous donor, and I have to say that it has been stressful, to say the least, but worth every second. I've absolutely fallen in love with these amazing creatures,

3. Jean

Sooooooo that's about 5700L, Yep thought our old one was a bit small, they always looked "happier" in the 5000 tank but it's too bright and has no real way to put in a good den. Where do you work?

Here's Lloyd in our 5000!

4. elechick2

elechick2 Larval Mass Registered

I am a Collection Manager at the Rosamond Gifford Zoo in Syracuse, NY. Our exhibit opened just a few weeks ago and has quickly become very popular.

5. Jean

Thanks for that info and the pics I'll pass on to the powers that be!