• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Tank setup

brue103

Hatchling
Registered
Hello all Ive been into reef tanks for about a year and a half and was looking through a mag. I have and found the address to this sight. I want to set up a tank for a Briareus, I'm doing all research I can about the tank and LID I don't want any problems with security any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Currently I have a 40 gal reef and a 75 gal.

for security i have one thing to say astro turf sounds crazy but it works lay a sheet on the cracks they toch the stuff the go back down and welcome

One tank lid recommendation I will make from our observations is to incorporate a top lip around the perimeter of the tank (like you see on the acrylics - I don't recommend velcro or asto turf because of the inability to clean it and limited success reported). We have found that this seems to disuade attempts to climb out of the tank (three species of octos in this style setup have never come close to trying escape, who knows about the next one though). If your 75 (the 40 is too small for a briareus) is glass and has a small lip around the top rim, I would suggest getting a piece of 3/8" acrylic that will fit the groove, adding two cross supports to prevent warping and cutting access holes to be covered with hinged lids (getting fancy, you can inset the lids to create a flat surface by adding an additional lip to the underside of each hole). Our last completed project was an acrylic tank that already had a surround and we are emulating the same thing with our newest glass tank adventure. Unfortunately, we have not ordered the acrylic yet so I have no photo reference for the glass tank.

thanks guys I cant wait to get my first oct. I'm in the process of a diy sump. My salt is here so my next think will be paint the back of the tank. and set it up. Ill probably put the octo in my 38 gal until the 75 goes through its cycle and has time to mature

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back